Violence In Manchester

Guest True Mancunian

Firstly whether he is a tim wind up merchant or a true Mancunian the post is appropriate. The Manchester people deserve a swipe at us. I only hope that they see that from 100.000 people only a few decided to riot.

Secondly if you have 100.000 people in a small area then it is always going to look like a war zone when it clears. People throwing litter in the street is a social problem and not a rangers problem. I would imagine the council had clear-up teams ready for this morning. You only have to look at the street outside a McDonalds drive in to see a war zone daily.

I doubt if anyone on this forum will have been among the trouble makers as we are true supporters. So we can only offer our excuses for the small scum element attached to our club or even possibly the hooligan element from other clubs that made use of the day.

One plus point will be the money the day injected into your local shops and services, so all is not doom and gloom.

Was thinking that myself mate

the person's from manchester. not that it matters: him venting here, us sighing there. no-one wanted any of that nonsense, it's bloody awful. but some people will jump onto the happy bandwagon of righteous indignation and celebrate the fact that our reputation has been tarnished by these idiots (that's not to say the original poster is at all - they have a right to be angry). there's no excuse for behaviour like that, and there's no excuse for gloating; everyone, everyone, knows better.

if manchester remembers our trip there with disgust and disdain, that's upto them. at very least we've boosted the city's economy. but it goes without saying no amount of money makes right the actions of a minority, but i think it would take a person from manchester with no insight at all think we're all bad, and for that to be all that they can take from it. manchester has enough trouble makers not to be suprised that they have them elsewhere as well.

well done all the bears who represented us with pride; shame on those who ruined it for all those people. let's condemn badness where its bad, and celebrate goodness where it's good, and all move on from there.

i also think it would be worthwhile waiting until everyone knows exactly what happened before making any rash judgements.

the person's from manchester. not that it matters: him venting here, us sighing there. no-one wanted any of that nonsense, it's bloody awful. but some people will jump onto the happy bandwagon of righteous indignation and celebrate the fact that our reputation has been tarnished by these idiots (that's not to say the original poster is at all - they have a right to be angry). there's no excuse for behaviour like that, and there's no excuse for gloating - everyone, everyone, knows better.

if manchester remembers our trip there with disgust and disdain, that's upto them. at very least we've boosted the city's economy. but it goes without saying no amount of money makes right the actions of a minority, but i think it would take a person from manchester with no insight at all think we're all bad, and for that to be all that they can take from it. manchester has enough trouble makers not to be suprised that they have them elsewhere as well.

well done all the bears who represented us with pride; shame on those who ruined it for all those people. let's condemn badness where its bad, and celebrate goodness where it's good, and all move on from there.

I wait with baited breath the vilification from the likes of Spiers, McNee, Keevins and the rest of the Mhedia tomorrow... they need the extra 24 hours to look in there dictionaries for big words...

Guest modman

Manchester bears scars of Uefa violence

One fan was stabbed and police made 42 arrests in hours of violence in Manchester city centre during and after Glasgow Rangers' defeat to Russian opponents Zenit St Petersburg.

And 15 police officers, as well as a police dog, were left nursing a catalogue of injuries as hundreds of riot police and supporters fought running battles.

One senior officer was hit so hard his electronic earpiece was left embedded in his head and had to be removed by doctors.

Another policeman was bottled over the head and another lost his front teeth after being head-butted by a Rangers hooligan.

Other injuries included bruised and cracked ribs, a dislocated shoulder, a broken finger and arm, and cuts needing stitches.

Ambulance crews also came under attack in the violence and two paramedics were reportedly also injured.

Five men arrested for wounding with intent on suspicion of stabbing a rival Russian fan have been released - and it appears the knifeman has escaped.

Sixteen men are currently under arrest for public order offences, four for assault and four for violent disorder and affray. There were further arrests for throwing missiles, possessing an offensive weapon and criminal damage.

Some may appear in court this afternoon, after they have sobered up this morning.

Police chiefs said they were left "sickened and disappointed" with the behaviour of some fans.

Sir Richard Leese, leader of Manchester City Council said: "We are having a full inquiry into the failure of the screen in Piccadilly Gardens.

"The vast majority of fans spent a peaceful evening in our city centre in a spirit of friendship and respect. But this has been spoiled by the bad behaviour of a minority. We cannot tolerate missiles and bottles being thrown."

About three times the usual number of council cleaning staff were working 12-hour shifts to clean up the city centre before workers arrived this morning but a mass of rubbish remains in the streets.

Across the city centre this morning streets were strewn with rubbish, cans of beer and broken glass after an estimated 100,000 Rangers fans descended on Manchester for the big game.

An army of council workers will begin moving the mountains of rubbish but the Rangers' fans own reputation - and that of the city's for hosting events - may take longer to clean up.

Assistant Chief Constable Justine Curran of Greater Manchester Police said: "A minority of thugs have overshadowed what should have been a great occasion."

She added: "I've watched them commit damage, assault my officers and I'm really sickened and disappointed."

Scores of bleary-eyed fans awoke hungover and shivering in the early morning, heading for the train station to begin the journey home, after sleeping in doorways for the night, using their flags as blankets.

Manchester City Council has now ordered an urgent inquiry into last night's events.

Privately it is known that city officials wanted "anyone but Rangers" to get through to the final.

Publicly the council promised a warm welcome, with a relaxed attitude to fans drinking on the street - normally outlawed - and three fan zones with big screens.

Beer was on tap from off-licences with supporters carrying crates of cheap lager around - Tesco opened at 7am, 18 hours before kick-off.

Excitement mounted all day, as did the alcohol levels, with some fans spending hundreds of pounds on travel and hotels just to watch the game in the fan zones.

Throughout the day the atmosphere had been friendly but when a "technical hitch" hit the screen in Piccadilly Gardens, many fans, already heavily drunk, turned nasty.

Violence broke out at around 7.30pm and the trouble continued for around five hours.

The broken big screen was pelted with bottles, as were riot police as they moved in to try to quell the trouble.

Police and council officials blamed a "minority" of fans for the violence.

Rangers fans blamed the local council's "shambolic" organisation, but another said the behaviour of his fellow supporters left him "ashamed to be a Scotsman".

There were similar dejected scenes in Glasgow, where 25,000 fans had watched the match on giant screens at the club's home ground, Ibrox Stadium.

On their return to Scotland, the Rangers players are expected to take part in a parade of honour on an open-top bus, which will travel through the city.

Paul Johnson, 25, from the Knightswood area of Glasgow, said: "I'm absolutely gutted. We were so close to a historic victory for our club but we just couldn't perform on the night.

"It was just a dream for us and we didn't quite make it."

( i feel with the technology of today those ring leaders will be found )

sadly this will be in our memorys alone side this uefa cup final game

As far as I could see from the daytime pictures and video feeds all of the Rangers support were wearing some sort of Blue, scarf, hat or indeed fancy dress. Having watched the news feeds this morning it was pointed out by a workmate that the guy's running around throwing stuff were in normal casual attire of jeans, shirts and jackets. There were Rangers tops in amongst it so I am not saying no Gers fans were invloved - I am not that naive. But could this holigan element be from the very city that enticed us to go there in our thousands.

And just watching the Deputy Chief Constable on the News just now, and she is coming across a smug bitch. It is quite clear that Manchester were not ready for this event and the aparent back up plans for such failures did not materialise. The back up screen was at the Veladrome which is no where near the Piccadily screen.

Absolute pump excuses and usual smoke screens from GMP and Council.

Again I stress this does not condone the idiots who were there causing the damahge/rioting... They should all be banged up, named and shamed.

I feared this would happen, i was in Manchester from 11am yesterday, had a great time and seen no trouble at all, i was due to go back to the city centre after the game and come back home today but really wasnt in the mood after we got beat so i just came back up the road straight after the game. Really glad i did now.

You could clearly see during the day that a lot of the people in the fanzones were not "real" Rangers fans, these people were not there to show support for Rangers they were there to party and get p*shed.

Rangers players being paraded in an open topped bus.:eek: What the F**k is that about. We lost! Get to Murray park and get prepared for Saturday. We have two days to get our heads sorted not drive about in an open topped bus.

Unbelievable. We are setting ourselves up to be shot down.

Guest True Mancunian

I work for the council responsible for the screens, NOT directly involved in that department, but know it was a technical fault, unavoidable, and easy to fix IF the engineer had been allowed to do so. What do you think, those in charge thought it would be a good idea tojust turn it off?? Behave.

I was born in Newton Heath, Manchester, and have lived in the area all my life, guess I have no way of proving that, or that I am not an imposter. Or a 'Timposter' whatever that may be.

I came on this site as we have had several Gers fans on our City site, before game, asking for hotels, pubs etc, and thought this site would be a good place to let you guys know the feeling about what happened here last night.

If you want to add insult to the injury I sustained last night, then fine, bury your heads in the sand, and think I am not genuine................

Maybe I expected too much by posting. Will leave site then.

I work for the council responsible for the screens, NOT directly involved in that department, but know it was a technical fault, unavoidable, and easy to fix IF the engineer had been allowed to do so. What do you think, those in charge thought it would be a good idea tojust turn it off?? Behave.

I was born in Newton Heath, Manchester, and have lived in the area all my life, guess I have no way of proving that, or that I am not an imposter. Or a 'Timposter' whatever that may be.

I came on this site as we have had several Gers fans on our City site, before game, asking for hotels, pubs etc, and thought this site would be a good place to let you guys know the feeling about what happened here last night.

If you want to add insult to the injury I sustained last night, then fine, bury your heads in the sand, and think I am not genuine................

What did you expect?

Personally i think you were treated pretty well and we the good supporters do feel sorry for the people of Manchester affected by this. I hope you understand that more often than not that such posts come from Celtic(Tim) supporters on the mickey taking therefore the defensive attitude. Unfortunately we cannot turn the clock back so we will just have to lie in the bed a small amount of idiots made for us. Reporters at the Press conference did seem to think that the Manchester police and council got it wrong and they were in amongst it. I would like to say i hope we learn from this but to be honest i don't think you can as supporters learn from it. The only lesson is maybe for the Police and council to cut out the sale of Alcohol in the area's.