Violence In Manchester

Guest True Mancunian

For my money you are not welcome on this site!

Patronising prick! :wanker:

I highly doubt any of the contributors to this site were involved in any of the trouble down there. So to come here an tar us all with the same brush is idiotic.

The more pressing manner is the inability of Manchester council or whoever is directly responsible to properly cater for such a sporting occassion and as such should not be allowed to host such an event again.

To be honest despite your laughable claims we were welcomed by the city, we were initially made unwelcome in a massive show of naivety. Eventually when their own stupidity was realised this warning not to come was relaxed. However the preparations were woefully insufficient.

Hopefully this will be taken into account by any committee considering appointing events to Manchester.

its not people on here venting like this we should be worried about - they retracted their over-reaction earlier. people vent; we are big enough. as more facts are coming out, though, it seems like things are little different than the first reports suggested. now every rent-a-cause reactionary, from petty Spiers to Manchester Council, is going to use this as an excuse to advance their own little causes. none of them are interested in what actually happened as they are too busy thinking about interests, profits, elections, committees. its the biggest load of pish in the world - if everyone was as harmless as the person who came on here, venting, and then apologising for casting the net so wide, and getting on with their sensible lives, then this situation would be a lot better. these are the truly fucked people - who take in thuggary an excuse to push their own shit little agendas. for every tim that leaves smug self-indulgent comments on websites there is one person in real life who is actually the same, but actually have some responsibility. its at times like this we need the RST and David Murray etc to come out fighting. 55 arrests in 125k people is 0.03 odd percent. its terrible that it happened, but there are probably that many arrests in manchester every weekend - do the people who work for the council feel perfectly safe wandering through their roughest parts at the weekend? with all those sweet mancurians who would never do anything like this? this stuff happens - its horrible, but its why we have laws. fuck them all, i am now deciding to say. every decent person will condemn the bad and not ignore the good. anythign else is just propoganda.

Guest Ibroxian
Just seen a CCTV clip on SSN there, looks terrible, 1 police officer goes down and ends up with 20 odd Gers "fans" kicking into him.

This has really put a dampner on what should be one of the proudest occasions ever for us.

Attempted murder. Find these guys and put them away for 15 years a piece, no early release.

100,000 die in Burma, 20,000 so far have perished in China. A little human though for those poor souls would have quashed any feelings of violence last night, pigs. Then last night in Manchester, are we sharing the same planet? I desperately wanted Rangers to win but sorry, for those subhuman beings in blue last night I'm glad Rangers lost.

One strange thing about the footage is that of all the instigators at the front, I can't see many Rangers tops. Now contrast this with the sea of blue white and red you see with all the well behaved fans earlier...

Are these really Rangers fans?

I was thinking that as well Cal. They looked more like casuals than Rangers supporters

The leader of Glasgow City Council has admitted he was "ashamed as a Glaswegian" of the violence that marred the Uefa Cup Final in Manchester.

Writing in the Manchester Evening News, Steven Purcell said he would do everything possible to ensure those responsible were caught and punished.

Mr Purcell stressed that he believed Manchester's planning for the showpiece final had been "spot-on".

A Russian fan was stabbed and 15 police officers injured in the trouble.

Mr Purcell, who had been in the City of Manchester Stadium to see Rangers lose 2-0 to Zenit St Petersburg in Wednesday night's final, said he had been "appalled" when he later saw photographs and video footage of the violence that erupted in the city centre among a section of the estimated 200,000 Rangers supporters.

The only people to blame are the mindless minority who acted in the irresponsible, idiotic and violent ways we have all witnessed

In the most disturbing scene, a mob of Rangers fans attacked a lone police officer who had tripped and fallen. He escaped without serious injury.

In the open letter to the people of Manchester, Mr Purcell said: "I, as a Glaswegian, am ashamed of the behaviour of some people on Wednesday night and I know there are many other Glaswegians who feel the same way.

"Newspaper photographs and television coverage of people verbally abusing police and stewards, and in some cases attacking them, are appalling and very disappointing."

Some fans have blamed poor organisation by Manchester City Council and Greater Manchester Police for sparking the trouble, which first flared when a giant screen, that had been put up to allow ticketless fans to see the game, failed about 15 minutes before kick off.

Destruction and violence

But Mr Purcell insisted: "Manchester is not to blame for what happened. Rangers Football Club is not to blame for what happened, the vast majority of Rangers supporters are not to blame for what happened.

"The only people to blame are the mindless minority who acted in the irresponsible, idiotic and violent ways we have all witnessed.

"The event was well staged, the supporters inside the stadium created a great atmosphere and, although for Glasgow's sake I would have preferred a different result, the game was exciting.

"I think it is a great shame that all that has been forgotten because of the unacceptable behaviour of a mindless minority."

Mr Purcell said he hoped the violence would not sour relations between Rangers and Manchester, which he had always found a "warm and welcoming city".

He added: "Any help that the city of Glasgow, Strathclyde Police or Rangers Football Club can give the authorities in Manchester to get to the bottom of what happened and identify those responsible, we will give.

"Glasgow is just as keen as Manchester to see the people responsible for this destruction and violence to be caught and brought to justice.

"These people do not represent Rangers and they do not represent our city. We want to see them punished for their behaviour."

What is really ironic about this situation is when I came out the match I phoned my brother and both of us said the exact same thing, that we were both extremly proud to be a Rangers fan. The way the majority* condoned themself to quote Alex Ferguson made me " very proud " . Clapping Zenit up to the trophy and singing our love of the rangers in defeat was great.

Then we start getting word from friends of what has happend elsewhere in Manchester. It is a sickner and in one sweep has ruined the good reputation we have built throughout Europe this season, as being a friendly travelling support. No arrests in 9 Euro away trips up until Manchester.

* I was however left absolutly gutted at some supporters who left after the first goal went in, never mind the second. To not even stay and applaud your team for the heroic effort they have made to get to that stage was disgraceful. It was made all the worse by the fact my uncle, who has attended every home and the majority of away matches for the best part of 30 years couldn't get a ticket because of these glory hunters. It was heart breaking on the phone to him a couple of night before the game were you could hear his voice cracking even speaking about missing out :(

You should have given your Uncle your ticket tr :fish: !

I didn't have one, I skipped in.

Took �£500 down with me to buy one off a tout but had no luck. Have heard people saying they were going about for 50 quid too :eek:

I'll be honust though no matter how bad I felt for him he wouldn't have been getting mine :D