Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

I don't know about this one. I am not sure i think Davis is the answer. i would think for 4 mill there are better players out there.

Ismael Assiati of PSV would cost less and probably be on less wages. He wants away from PSV and is looking for a club.

Get along to their training camp and wave your shopping list at WS and Ally.:) The Dutch market was always a happy hunting groung for us before, Van Vossen and Konterman notwithstanding.

Get along to their training camp and wave your shopping list at WS and Ally.:) The Dutch market was always a happy hunting groung for us before, Van Vossen and Konterman notwithstanding.

I think i will take a run out on Saturday and maybe go to the game on Sunday.

When do they fly out?

Rangers move on midfield mission

by Darrell King

WALTER SMITH today launched his moves for midfield reinforcements after losing Barry Ferguson for the first four months of the season.

The Ibrox gaffer confirmed that his skipper will undergo surgery early next week on medial ligament damage sustained last week at pre-season training.

Smith has now lost Ferguson and Chris Burke until the end of the autumn, while Steve Naismith is out until the New Year.

The Gers boss was already casting his net for a new midfield face - but he is now likely to go after two men in the wake of the Ferguson injury blow.

Fulham's Steven Davis remains very much on the target list, but not at the �£4million asking price, and Smith is looking at other options on his list.

There is also the prospect of bringing in someone else on loan until Ferguson returns.

But with crucial matches on the horizon, Smith knows that he has to move quickly before the July 24 second round Champions League signing deadline.

"We were looking at midfield TO PAGE 75 "We were looking at the midfield area prior to this injurt set-back with Barry," Smith confirmed today, "Obviously the situation with Barry is something we could have done without.

"But it's happened, he'll get the surgery, and we need to get on with it. We will step up our efforts to in terms of the areas we have to strengthen.

"We already have a fair idea of what we want to do as we have been looking, and we are aware of the players who are available in the market.

"In terms of Steven Davis, I have already stated that he is one we would like to bring him back, but not at the price Fulham are looking for."

Rangers are awaiting an answer from Watford after lodging a �£1.5million bid with them for defender Danny Shittu this morning.

The 27 year-old Nigerian centre back is a player that Smith believes could bring massive physical presence and power in the air to his backline next season.

Shittu has remained in London whilst the rest of his team-mates have travelled to a pre-season training camp in Austria, after telling his club he wants to move to Rangers.

Watford want nearer to �£2m for the big stopper as they have to pay a portion of any transfer fee to his former club, QPR, as part of the deal that took him to Vicarage Road two years ago.

But Rangers are hopeful that �£1.5m will be enough as they know the 13 times capped stopper is into the final year of his contract.

Meantime, left-back Stevie Smith has suffered another injury blow. He has picked up an ankle problem and will be left behind for treatment when Rangers leave tomorrow morning for their three game tour in Holland and Germany.

But Andy Webster could play some part in the final game against Schalke a week tomorrow. He is finally clear of injury woes and is doing all the same work as the other players.

Webster, though, has played just five games in the past two years and will be given an extra week's training in Germany before he gets back into action, possibly against the Bundesliga side.

Looks like we won't be paying 4 mill for Davis up front although we probably will go for that 3.5 mill and 500.000 after 50 games so we can drop him after 49. :)

It's time to stop pi$$ing about and either come up with the cash for the Davis transfer or offer over-the-odds in wages to a quality of player who's going to come in and do a better job of playing Fergusons role than what we've already got. ATM we've got Thomson, Hemdani, Adam, Dailly and Furman. Out of those, only Adam (and possibly Furman) is of any use going forward, but it would be a huge gamble to rely too heavily on either of these players.

Another option would be to bring in Darren Fletcher, even if it's only on a 6 month loan. He usually does a good job for the national side in Fergusons absence (some would argue better) and with the opportunity of 1st team football EVERY week, not to mention the CL games, I think the player would be interested. Time for the gaffer to call in a favour from his pal Fergie?

It's time to stop pi$$ing about and either come up with the cash for the Davis transfer or offer over-the-odds in wages to a quality of player who's going to come in and do a better job of playing Fergusons role than what we've already got. ATM we've got Thomson, Hemdani, Adam, Dailly and Furman. Out of those, only Adam (and possibly Furman) is of any use going forward, but it would be a huge gamble to rely too heavily on either of these players.

Another option would be to bring in Darren Fletcher, even if it's only on a 6 month loan. He usually does a good job for the national side in Fergusons absence (some would argue better) and with the opportunity of 1st team football EVERY week, not to mention the CL games, I think the player would be interested. Time for the gaffer to call in a favour from his pal Fergie?

I think that's a great idea. We're often a bit pessimistic and cynical here on Gersnet, but I think, with the size of United's squad they could be persuaded to let him go on loan. SAF obviously rates him highly enough to repel any offers for him, even when he rarely gets a game. And he doesn't seem to be appreciated by the Old Trafford fans.

Not sure SAF would want Fletcher playing in the CL in case he needs him (however unlikely that would be).

But is he the attacking mid we need even if on loan ? Surely we could find a loan player even better than him ?

Not sure SAF would want Fletcher playing in the CL in case he needs him (however unlikely that would be).

But is he the attacking mid we need even if on loan ? Surely we could find a loan player even better than him ?

I have to ask you - who? Who is there who is not getting a regular start for their club who could do a job for us? Fletch might actually rise to the occasion when he is the leading light after umpteen years as a bit-part player. If he could bring his best Scotland form to Ibrox that would do for me. But I take your point re SAF not wanting him to play in the CL.

I have to ask you - who? Who is there who is not getting a regular start for their club who could do a job for us? Fletch might actually rise to the occasion when he is the leading light after umpteen years as a bit-part player. If he could bring his best Scotland form to Ibrox that would do for me. But I take your point re SAF not wanting him to play in the CL.

TBH I have no idea. I havent looked at the squads of the bigger clubs so couldn't even muster a suggestion.

Reckon it's a safe bet that Fletcher would fit in well as he's already familiar with a lot of our players. I'd also say that I reckon he's at least as good an 'attacking mid' as Ferguson. Then there's the dissruption that could be caused to the shape of our team if we bring someone else in and then have to adapt mid-season when Ferguson comes back. For me, Davis is a good option and at a time like this we should really be pushing the boat out, but Fletcher is a good alternative.