Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

Reckon it's a safe bet that Fletcher would fit in well as he's already familiar with a lot of our players. I'd also say that I reckon he's at least as good an 'attacking mid' as Ferguson. Then there's the dissruption that could be caused to the shape of our team if we bring someone else in and then have to adapt mid-season when Ferguson comes back. For me, Davis is a good option and at a time like this we should really be pushing the boat out, but Fletcher is a good alternative.

One big problem. 40.000 smackers a week.Murray::admin:

It's time to stop pi$$ing about and either come up with the cash for the Davis transfer or offer over-the-odds in wages to a quality of player who's going to come in and do a better job of playing Fergusons role than what we've already got.

So what you're saying is we should stop pissing about and start pissing away all our money? :confused:

So what you're saying is we should stop pissing about and start pissing away all our money? :confused:

No, what I'm saying is that the one player we knew would fit right into an area where the squad was a bit thin and do a good job, could and should have been bought weeks ago. As it turns out we need that sort of player even more now. It's all fine and well to say that Davis isn't worth �£4m, but if anyone can suggest who else we're going to get instead without a) Paying that sort of money or b) Paying some foreign mercenary extravagant wages, then let's hear it. Like I said, there's no point bringing anyone else in if they're not going to do a better job than what we've already got.

If you want to start talking about pissing away all our money, then how about us being linked with yet another player that we don't really need (Shitu) having already spent something to the tune of �£6m on more strikers (that we didn't really need either)

Just woke up to the depressing news that WS 'admits' we can't afford �£4m for Davis. And this is after our Euro run! So our transfer budget was �£6m after all. This means that our priority must now be to get into the CL proper, not just this season but every season. Dread to think what we would have to spend if we hadn't made it last season.

Just woke up to the depressing news that WS 'admits' we can't afford �£4m for Davis. And this is after our Euro run! So our transfer budget was �£6m after all. This means that our priority must now be to get into the CL proper, not just this season but every season. Dread to think what we would have to spend if we hadn't made it last season.

Not only is that with the Euro run but also the �£9 million we got from Hutton... I dont understand why we cant afford �£4 million for a midfielder who would, as I see it, be the perfect replacement for Barry (and not just til he's back from injury either!) :uzi:

So our transfer budget was �£6m after all.

I think it's more likely that we just don't have �£4m to spend AT THE MOMENT, at least not on one player. We've obviously got some of the budget left, otherwise the Davis talks wouldn't still be ongoing. If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say our transfer budget is �£9-10m

The other thing to take into account is the squad size as the wages don't pay themselves. So far in terms of player numbers compared to last season, we've got 3 OUT - 3 IN and it is a reasonably large squad. We might have to offload one or two players before we can bring any more in.