Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

WALTER SMITH is having to play the waiting game as he looks to bring in the four new faces he wants to strengthen his Rangers squad.

SportTimes understands the Ibrox boss is very keen on bringing in Sunderland's Nigerian powerhouse midfielder Dickson Etuhu, while talks are still ongoing over his pursuit of Steven Davis and Glenn Loovens.

And the Ibrox gaffer would also like to add Middlesbrough's England Under-21 winger Adam Johnston on loan to his ranks as cover for injuries to players in the wider areas.

But no deals could be secured before last night's midnight signing deadline for the second round Champions League qualifier against FBK Kaunas next Wednesday at Ibrox. And Smith will now hope that what he has is enough to get past the Lithuanians - before stepping up moves to bring in new players before the next European signing deadline of August 7 for the third round qualifiers.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2409459.0.0.php

Smith’s hope fades of signing Loovens as Ajax signal interest

Rangers' hopes of signing Glenn Loovens from Cardiff City have waned with the news Dutch giants Ajax have joined the chase.

Ibrox manager Walter Smith is desperate to sign the �£3m-rated Dutch centre-back to partner Carlos Cuellar in defence.

However, furious Cardiff manager Dave Jones called Rangers' �£1m offer, branding it "derogatory".

advertisement

Smith's chances of landing the Cardiff player now appear to be over after Marco van Basten's Ajax registered their interest.

The former Netherlands national coach will take his club to face City at Ninian Park on Friday.

Another good display by Loovens, 24, will almost certainly secure his return to his homeland.

Loovens is out of contract next summer and has so far refused to sign a new deal with the Coca-Cola Championship club.

Fulham are also keen on the former Netherlands Under-21 internationalist, but Ajax have jumped to the front of the queue.

The Cardiff City chairman Peter Ridsdale said: "We don't want to sell anybody and our key players are not for sale at any price. I really mean that.

"Our aim is to earn promotion and we have virtually all of our key players on long-term contracts.

"We want Glenn to stay and there is a new offer on the table.

"But he has not signed it yet and that is the only reason we may - and I stress may - talk to clubs if their offer is acceptable."

Nothing on the Dutch sites about this but Ajax were looking for a defender so it could be true.

Rangers target Vayrynen told he can leave PSV Eindhoven

Mika Vayrynen will make a decision on his future next week after PSV Eindhoven told him he could leave the club.

Walter Smith is anxious to strengthen in central midfield with Barry Ferguson a long-term injury concern while Steven Davis has returned to Fulham after being priced out of a move to Ibrox.

The Rangers manager had the Finland international midfielder watched last season, but Vayrynen admits he has a number of offers and wants time before making a decision on his next move.

advertisement

"There is interest from several clubs, but I would like to have one or two weeks training behind me and I will see how it goes," said the 26-year-old.

"If I have no prospect of playing by the start of August then I will have to look at a move. Club Bruges in Belgium have shown an interest. It may be an option."

The 24-times capped midfielder has made only 29 starts for PSV in three years since signing from Dutch rivals Heerenveen.

However, the playmaker wants one last chance to show new PSV head coach Huub Stevens what he can do before deciding whether to quit the club.

He added: "The head coach has indicated this season will be very difficult for me. Stevens has been very clear. I would not like another season playing for the PSV reserves."

Vayrynen is available for �£1m because his contract has only 12 months left to run.

Looks like he is not wanting to leave PSV, so if we get him it will be a last minute signing and we don't need that to be honest.

I think the fact that he's mentioned Club Bruges as 'an option', means that the 'several clubs' who've shown an interest don't include Rangers. I'm sure if Rangers had shown any genuine interest (and I don't mean last season) that he'd be over here in a shot.

Still it's a good example of what other top european sides do with players who are surplus to requirements. He's been told he can leave but, with only a year left on his contract, they're still holding out for �£1m. If that was us we'd no doubt be paying him just to get him off the wage bill. :(

I think the fact that he's mentioned Club Bruges as 'an option', means that the 'several clubs' who've shown an interest don't include Rangers. I'm sure if Rangers had shown any genuine interest (and I don't mean last season) that he'd be over here in a shot.

Still it's a good example of what other top european sides do with players who are surplus to requirements. He's been told he can leave but, with only a year left on his contract, they're still holding out for �£1m. If that was us we'd no doubt be paying him just to get him off the wage bill. :(

There is still a while to go in the transfer window. PSV want rid of him and will release him eventually. If he is on 10.000 a week means it will cost them another 500.000 on wages if he stays another season.. PSV will want to free up his wages. They will accept less than a million.

Pete, do you think he would be worth paying 1m for him compared to 3.5m for Davis?

He is one player I quite fancy and think we should go for. Im sure PSV would maybe take around 700k for him if they want him off the books.