Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

More rumours

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=395282

Kyle Lafferty's departure from Burnley to Rangers is imminent if it hasn't gone through already, and if the news tonight is correct then it will smash Burnley's record sale previously set when Ade Akinbiyi was sold to Sheffield United in January 2006.

Details are filtering through that a deal has been done and that Lafferty is now a Rangers player although this has not as yet been confirmed by either club. There's been wild speculation as to how much the deal is worth and until such time as there is any confirmation then it can be nothing but speculation.

However I've been led to believe that the Clarets will receive a guaranteed fee of �£3.25 million from Rangers with a further �£500,000 in add ons whilst it also looks as though Alan Gow will become Owen Coyle's first Burnley signing as part of the deal.

It has all been a whirlwind 24 hours. It looked as though Rangers, thought to be Lafferty's preference, were out of the running but they've come back with a vengeance and given the Clarets an acceptable offer.

There is sure to be more on this tomorrow - but it is looking increasingly likely that Kyle Lafferty, who was discussing personal terms with Rangers, is no longer a Burnley player.

3.75 mill - I havent seen him but from what I have heard he may not be worth it.

If we have now blown all our budget on these guys without bringing in a creative midfielder and a proper RB then we will have quite the struggle next season again.

The noises about him aren't good, but we have to just trust Walters judgement and as with Miller, get behind him. That's if he signs and until I see him in a Rangers shirt I won't believe it.

The other option is that Wattie genuinely has the �£12-�£15million transfer budget that we hoped he would have, and that this weeks signing activity is only the start...

Stewarty :Blindly Optimistic Smiley:

I am so fucking baffled by this.

We have brought in 3 strikers (I refuse to believe that Lafferty can be effective playing wide so anyone saying he's of the versatile nature needs to convince me) when, arguably, the striking area is the one which needed strengthening the LEAST considering we had/have plenty of options in that area.

As Craig said, a creative midfielder and a right back are MUSTS and if the whole budget has been splashed on 3 strikers then Walter has lost any confidence I had in him..

We did struggle to score - other than Boyd we don't have strikers that are gonna get a lot of goals which is why I think Velicka will be a good signing.

I thik something we need next year is a consitency in team selection - I knoe we had 68 games, but the constant chopping and changing up front must make it difficut for players to get into any sort of form.

I guess that, at 22 yrs old, he has potential and is young - one thing we criticised WS over was his unwillingness to give younger players a go - at 22 I think we can still say he is a young player - but when are we going to get the creative mid and RB in ?

Our squad for nex season could be done already (except maybe some departures) which hardly thrills me.

Will be interesting to see what kind of quality the Tims get in - this was a chance for us to build on our relative success from last year but I dont really see much of a strengthening !

I think Velicka will be a good signing too - but do we need to have that many more strikers - I would have thought that we would look to strengthen the glaring weaknesses which are creativity and an RB (if Whittaker isnt to be played there).

I am not convinced that the lack of goals was as much to do with chopping and changing the strikers as I would be about it being the lack of creativity from midfield !

I think it was a combination Craig. The midfield is very pedestrian, we really need to think about upping the tempo in games and Walter has to see that. Sneijder is a sub at Madrid, sure he would come here for first team football!!!!

I think it was a combination Craig. The midfield is very pedestrian, we really need to think about upping the tempo in games and Walter has to see that. Sneijder is a sub at Madrid, sure he would come here for first team football!!!!

You are right, it was a combination - when we went at teams with high tempo last season we seemed to have much more success - but more often than not we didnt do that and gave the other team confidence.

Ha ! No way would we get Sneijder, would be nice though. Although..... if you believe all you read then the Tims are signing Seedorf, Podolski etc etc