It should fail again, due to EU employment law.

This is the main stumbling block,however FIFA are allowing teams to sign as many foreign players as they want but limiting how many actually play

Whereas from a footballing view it may make it fairer, but Im against it from an expats point of view.

If countries round the world started saying 55% of workers in my industry have to be locals and 45% expats then certain things would go to shit. If the player / worker is good enough then they are free to stay in any place in there world they like!

What happens after that - not allowing Govan citenzens to work in Maryhill???

Perhaps what UEFA should consider instead is having a salary cap placed on teams. I don't think that breaches EU employment law but it would make it more difficult for the larger leagues to simply take all the very best players as they would have to operate under tighter financial restrictions, meaning that teams would have to at least consider bringing through home grown talent.

It works in the US with NFL, NHL and NBA and it makes the league more competitive.

Just something to consider.

As far as I can see they are not proposing a cap on the number of players a team signs, rather that they limit the number who start any given game. How this sits with EU employment law I dont know but for the long term future of the game I think it's necessary.

Another thought. In English County Cricket, when the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) pays out monies from TV, sponsors and the like, it does so based on the number of England qualified players play in each match. In effect, a County is fined each time a non English qualified player plays in a game. Also, each team is only allowed one 'overseas' player. How can this be? Why are there different rules for cricket as opposed to football?

This situation is not without it's problems as there are a number of players who are not English qualified but are not classed as overseas players under the Kolpak ruling. If memory serves me, the Kolpak ruling arose from a Slovakian Handball player who challenged EU employment legislation to allow him to play professionally in Germany without being classed as an overseas player.

In reality, any player from a country which has a formal trading relationship with Britain could utilise this ruling. In cricket terms, this means that players from the West Indies and South Africa are able to play domestic cricket in England without being classed as overseas players and it's causing a lot of problems and discussion at the moment.

Another thought. In English County Cricket, when the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) pays out monies from TV, sponsors and the like, it does so based on the number of England qualified players play in each match. In effect, a County is fined each time a non English qualified player plays in a game. Also, each team is only allowed one 'overseas' player. How can this be? Why are there different rules for cricket as opposed to football?

This situation is not without it's problems as there are a number of players who are not English qualified but are not classed as overseas players under the Kolpak ruling. If memory serves me, the Kolpak ruling arose from a Slovakian Handball player who challenged EU employment legislation to allow him to play professionally in Germany without being classed as an overseas player.

In reality, any player from a country which has a formal trading relationship with Britain could utilise this ruling. In cricket terms, this means that players from the West Indies and South Africa are able to play domestic cricket in England without being classed as overseas players and it's causing a lot of problems and discussion at the moment.

:sleep: lol, even reading about cricket legislation is boring !

A wee aside. There is a 'Scottish' rugby boy I read about in the Herald yesterday. Born, I think, in England but resident up here for about 3 years. Was due to make his debut for Scotland at the begining of July, but got himself a transfer to a club down south. He sold his house in anticipation of his move but is still living up here however, in rented accomodation. Now, because he is no longer a Scottish home owner, he is inelgible to make his debut. Had he held onto the house until the 1st June, a month before the match, he would still have been eligible.

Perhaps - but the point is, why is employment legislation different for other sports as opposed to football?

Sorry man, just messingb around - should have tried to respond to the point too.

I don't know, the only thing I can think of is that it is not as high profile - makes no sense I know as the law is for all.