Record �£125m SPL TV Deal

Got to be said I hate Sky which is way overpriced and the system is far too proprietary - so I welcome an alternative like Setanta at a reasonable 10 quid a month. I haven't paid Sky a penny since they installed my sat freeview system on a one off payment and I hope I never do. I don't even have to have a land line anymore which saves me about �£130 a year for something I don't ever use (700 minutes per month on my mobile and I have mobile broadband).

You can even get Setanta on digital terrestrial which means you actually get to be able to buy the receiver box that you want even with things like free "sky+" and HDMI out.

Can't believe anyone is championing an evil company like Sky...

The more competition from companies like Setanta the better a satellite system we'll get at much better prices.

Please, please SPL, don't go to Sky!

Only plus with SKY would be the income.

Can't believe anyone is championing an evil company like Sky...

!

Out of interest Calscot whats you reasons for saying they are evil?

I only get Sky news via satelitte over here and I get annoyed with the lies and manipulation they continually come out with, but ive always thought the sports channels are superb coverage.

There have been reports of the 2 owners singing pro-IRA songs, I believe, although the alleged incident took place prior to them setting up Setanta.

if that's the case then the term "ira tv" is misleading and just a bit bitter. it implies paying setanta is akin to supporting the ira. their coverage is shite, undoubtedly, but i'd still like to see rangers away games - the actions of their board members doesn't interest me, as a consumer, so much as their prices and product.

sky's a fortune, but their coverage is better. i would prefer they had the rights as you might finally stumble upon someone who knows what they're talking about - but i just want to see the fitbaw.

if that's the case then the term "ira tv" is misleading and just a bit bitter. it implies paying setanta is akin to supporting the ira. their coverage is shite, undoubtedly, but i'd still like to see rangers away games - the actions of their board members doesn't interest me, as a consumer, so much as their prices and product.

sky's a fortune, but their coverage is better. i would prefer they had the rights as you might finally stumble upon someone who knows what they're talking about - but i just want to see the fitbaw.

That's the bottom line for me as well, when it comes to Setanta. I can only go to a few away games (although hope to go to more next season) and don't want to miss them.

Got to say that I'm none too convinced about the story I told earlier anyway. It seems to be one of these hypocriphal tales.

My main reasons for not liking Setanta are the poor picture quality (not to mention the frequent dropouts) & amateur commentating team. When compared to Sky Sports SD service, let alone their HD one, it just feels like amateur hour. Maybe with their renewed commitment to the SPL they'll try to improve things a bit.

Out of interest Calscot whats you reasons for saying they are evil?

I only get Sky news via satelitte over here and I get annoyed with the lies and manipulation they continually come out with, but ive always thought the sports channels are superb coverage.

Sky are worse than Microsoft for their attempts to control everything in satellite tv and make all the money themselves.

If it wasn't for freeview we'd all be paying a fortune for basic packages. You cannot go out to any shop and buy a satellite dish and receiver box to watch Sky. You have to purchase it through them and you only get a decent one if you take out a big subscription.

You can't buy a box with a hard disk recorder in it - you can only "upgrade" to a Sky+ box - BUT if you want to use it to record or watch two different channels you have to pay Sky �£10 per month! Or buy a premium subscription.

It's even difficult to use two recievers to watch one channel on one and record the other - as Sky force the manufacturers to all use the same remote - so if you change the channel on one it'll change the channel on the other!

I went for the free view option and they give me a crap box that ONLY had composite and rf out.

I therefore had to buy one second hand that had RGB out. If it was open to everyone we'd be able to buy one with RGB, Component, S-Video, Composite AND Rf. And HDMI would be becoming the norm too.

To get HDMI out you have to subscribe to sky HD which you can only do if you take out a premium package so a minimum of about 50 quid a month.

You also cant reasonably choose your channels you have to buy them by the bundle - and they only get interesting at about 25 quid a month.

They also charge you extra monthly to view your channels in another room!

There are many other problems with Sky but this taster hopefully shows you that they are deliberately restricting the market to make them as much money as possible and leaving the customer with huge bills and little choice.

On top of all this, you HAVE to have a land line which would cost me another 10 quid a month for something I don't need or want.

Setanta have almost been a saviour as I'm only paying 10 quid a month in total, can record on my hard disk recorder without paying any more and can cancel with one months notice to go back to paying nothing.

Sky's marketing model just does not agree with me logically or ethically and the only reason I have satellite at all is that BBC were showing the football a few years ago and living in England I needed Satellite to get BBC Scotland.

Sky maybe better quality picture (I think Setanta have too small a bandwidth meaning they use high MPEG compression) but is it worth an extra �£500 per year?

I'd rather use that money to upgrade my Home Cinema System...

So Setanta may have a couple of idiots on the board but they are by far the lesser evil in my eyes.

Sky are worse than Microsoft for their attempts to control everything in satellite tv and make all the money themselves.

If it wasn't for freeview we'd all be paying a fortune for basic packages. You cannot go out to any shop and buy a satellite dish and receiver box to watch Sky. You have to purchase it through them and you only get a decent one if you take out a big subscription.

You can't buy a box with a hard disk recorder in it - you can only "upgrade" to a Sky+ box - BUT if you want to use it to record or watch two different channels you have to pay Sky �£10 per month! Or buy a premium subscription.

It's even difficult to use two recievers to watch one channel on one and record the other - as Sky force the manufacturers to all use the same remote - so if you change the channel on one it'll change the channel on the other!

I went for the free view option and they give me a crap box that ONLY had composite and rf out.

I therefore had to buy one second hand that had RGB out. If it was open to everyone we'd be able to buy one with RGB, Component, S-Video, Composite AND Rf. And HDMI would be becoming the norm too.

To get HDMI out you have to subscribe to sky HD which you can only do if you take out a premium package so a minimum of about 50 quid a month.

You also cant reasonably choose your channels you have to buy them by the bundle - and they only get interesting at about 25 quid a month.

They also charge you extra monthly to view your channels in another room!

There are many other problems with Sky but this taster hopefully shows you that they are deliberately restricting the market to make them as much money as possible and leaving the customer with huge bills and little choice.

On top of all this, you HAVE to have a land line which would cost me another 10 quid a month for something I don't need or want.

Setanta have almost been a saviour as I'm only paying 10 quid a month in total, can record on my hard disk recorder without paying any more and can cancel with one months notice to go back to paying nothing.

Sky's marketing model just does not agree with me logically or ethically and the only reason I have satellite at all is that BBC were showing the football a few years ago and living in England I needed Satellite to get BBC Scotland.

Sky maybe better quality picture (I think Setanta have too small a bandwidth meaning they use high MPEG compression) but is it worth an extra �£500 per year?

I'd rather use that money to upgrade my Home Cinema System...

So Setanta may have a couple of idiots on the board but they are by far the lesser evil in my eyes.

Cal, do you have sentanta through an ordinary Sat-tuner?

Does Setanta run on a chip-card in the sat dish?

Can you prescribe outside Britain?

Cal, do you have sentanta through an ordinary Sat-tuner?

Does Setanta run on a chip-card in the sat dish?

Can you prescribe outside Britain?

Subscribe!!!!

You can but need authority to do so. British Forces get it out in the Balkans, don't know about Iraq and Afghan as they maybe outside the footprint of the satellite. Although it is possible to get it through other providers.