Let's All Laugh at Roddy Forsyth

Guest ecosse1

Just a thought!

I fully understand the frustration one feels when reading such poorly written article, however would it not be better, even more balanced opening some dialogue with Mr Forsyth.

I confess at times to being naive and preferring to give folk the benefit of the doubt, maybe some of his points were made in ignorance, and some made with an agenda in mind. But, if say in this instance Frankie were to articulate directly to him the points above it would be interesting to learn of his reaction.

The thing that attracted me to Gersnet was, (for the most part) the quality of debate, let's continue to rise above petty sniping, but rather raise the bar in the quality of our constructive criticism of those that report with biase or incorrectly on any matter that relates to The Gers.

Confronting the ignorant with factual argument will surely, either reinforce to them their own bigotry or at least maybe embarrass them for a bit.

Just a thought !

I fully understand the frustration one feels when reading such poorly written article, however would it not be better, even more balanced opening some dialogue with Mr Forsyth.

I confess at times to being naive and prefering to give folk the benefit of the doubt, maybe some of his points were nade in ignorance, and some made with an agenda in mind. But, if say in this intance Frankie were to articulate to him the points above it would beinteresting to learn of his reaction.

The thing that attracted me to Gersnet was, (for the most part) the quality of debate, let's continue rise above petty sniping, rather raise the bar in the quality of our constructive critiscim.

Confront those that critisize unfairly with factual arguement.

It would certainly be interesting to hear his side of things. It would be a good idea if Frankie or one of our better letter writers sent him an e-mail. I totally agree with you, it is okay for us to discuss these things on the board but if we do not approach the source then nothing will change.

Just a thought!

I confess at times to being naive and preferring to give folk the benefit of the doubt, maybe some of his points were made in ignorance, and some made with an agenda in mind. But, if say in this instance Frankie were to articulate directly to him the points above it would be interesting to learn of his reaction.

The thing that attracted me to Gersnet was, (for the most part) the quality of debate, let's continue to rise above petty sniping, but rather raise the bar in the quality of our constructive criticism of those that report with biase or incorrectly on any matter that relates to The Gers.

Confronting the ignorant with factual argument will surely, either reinforce to them their own bigotry or at least maybe embarrass them for a bit.

ecosse:

Believe me, I've certainly tried in the past to open up dialogue with some of these journalists.

I've found all (other than Stuart Cosgrove in fact) to be obnoxious, arrogant, dismissive and ignorant. None will ever admit their intentions are not exactly honourable. Something tells me Mr Forsyth would be exactly the same given an experience an acquaintance of mine had.

:)

Guest ecosse1

I am saddened if not a little disillusioned by your experience Frankie.

However, given that even journos have a boss, whether they are self-employed or not. There are editors that have a duty to be responsible.

If individuals persistently and continually write articles and or make comment that are proven to be bigoted, inaccurate, and apparently biased against (in this case a football club) one team particularly and if this is brought to their attention, and they ignore it then surely a charge must be able to be made to the Press Complaints Commission ?

For too long journos have got away with this, without doubt it must be time to call a halt and take complaining to the next obvious level the PCC

I am saddened if not a little disillusioned by your experience Frankie.

However, given that even journos have a boss, whether they are self-employed or not. There are editors that have a duty to be responsible.

If individuals persistently and continually write articles and or make comment that are proven to be bigoted, inaccurate, and apparently biased against (in this case a football club) one team particularly and if this is brought to their attention, and they ignore it then surely a charge must be able to be made to the Press Complaints Commission ?

For too long journos have got away with this, without doubt it must be time to call a halt and take complaining to the next obvious level the PCC

I had some dialogue with the managing Director of the company that owns the Herald, complaining about Spiers. I also wrote off to the Editor. Similar experience to Frankie, although the MD did try and put up an argument, but didn't have much of an answer to my rebuttal.

Ultimately Spiers did get fired so a chip, chip, chip approach together with a drop in circulation could have an impact.

I had some dialogue with the managing Director of the company that owns the Herald, complaining about Spiers. I also wrote off to the Editor. Similar experience to Frankie, although the MD did try and put up an argument, but didn't have much of an answer to my rebuttal.

Ultimately Spiers did get fired so a chip, chip, chip approach together with a drop in circulation could have an impact.

Cynically I expect that if a journalist were to cause the reaction ecosse desires then the editor or other bosses would merely attempt to placate the aggrieved parties with insincere apologies whilst really rubbing their hands in glee at the interest and sales the journalist elicits.

For how can anyone complain about the writings of a journalist unless they have purchased the paper or read it online which all generates money for the paper.

It may work, but it would be a frustratingly slow process as with Speirs.

Cynically I expect that if a journalist were to cause the reaction ecosse desires then the editor or other bosses would merely attempt to placate the aggrieved parties with insincere apologies whilst really rubbing their hands in glee at the interest and sales the journalist elicits.

For how can anyone complain about the writings of a journalist unless they have purchased the paper or read it online which all generates money for the paper.

It may work, but it would be a frustratingly slow process as with Speirs.

Possibly, but the other thing is that if people stop buying the papers and they let the Editor know why then it will cumulatively have an impact.

I bought the Herald religiously for over 15 years, but gave it up because of Spiers and have bought only one copy in well over 3 years (I can't remember the year I gave it up).

If people do it and they have the discipline to give up a newspaper and the paper has a bigger than expected decline then it will help.

Guest ecosse1

Well done Bluedell, like Frankie you set a good example.

I accept that the change we desire would be neither easily or quickly achieved, however once again doing nothing shouldn’t be an option. Feeling a little guilty here as I pass the buck/responsibility on to others.!

As a site can’t we be the driving/uniting force persuading other Gers fan organisations to amalgamate on this topic “Highlighting” journalists who evidentially have an agenda against or just a history of misrepresenting Rangers.

Surely when faced with significant number of proactive and determined fans whom are fed up with their club and its supporters being misrepresented they will be forced to take action. We could target both journo and editors

Or possibly showing my naivety here, but what about asking some of the offenders to a “meet the fans night” reasonable expenses could be met, and few beers thrown in. Then the more articulate could set the questions for the session……

As I said just a musing,

Ecosse, sites bigger than this one have, in the past, tried to organise the support in respect of journalists and/or newspapers. The RST have also been vocal on the subject. It has worked to a certain extent, as mentioned above.

However the biggest problem is the widespread apathy of the support, who are just happy turning up on a Saturday and don't read internet message boards, or if they do, they don't really care about what is written. Most are happy to buy the Record or the Sun every day, no matter what they write.

Spiers has been highlighted more than most and continues to get work from the Times, (albeit at a far reduced salary than he was on at the Herald), Radio Clyde and his forthcoming new progamme on the BBC. He has been shown up on the past by David Edgar in a radio debate, but it still doesn't make much difference.

For anything to be really effective, it has to be driven from the top, and SDM has shown little appetite for this unless it is made personal, although there have been a couple of signs to suggest that he may have been a little more active in this area over the past 6 months, although still not active enough.

However it's good to hear your views, and don't let my current cynicism prevent you from sending an email, writing a letter or making a phone call of complaint, either to the press or to SDM. It does help, even if only a little.

PS a belated welcome to the site.

Guest ecosse1

Bluedell,

Worry not your well-earned cynicism wont put me off, I am by nature a stubborn sod.

When I get to putting pen to paper I will post any comment received here, however you are right, fundamentally it should be the business of SDM to be the driving force on this issue. But reflecting on his track record of looking after the reputation of the fans etc one can't help feel we are hitting our head of a brick wall.