United game OFF - Official

I think we should show a mark of respect but postponing games is a relatively new thing and against tradition. And I'm not sure it's appropriate to "honour" football people by NOT playing football; surely if football is a big part of their life they'd want the game to go on?

It could also mean that if quite a few pass away in the same season, that another fixture pile up could occur and it's now well known that extending the season ruins the integrity of the league...

I don't think someone passing away would want a postponement in honour of them to have an adverse affect on their team's season...

There will also be other players in other teams who will have known the man and be grieving - are they at a disadvantage as they have to play?

I think it's time to find a better.,fairer and more satisfying way of honouring those who pass away in the football world.

With all due respect to Eddie Thomson, his family and DUFC I personally believe we should NOT postpone the game.

There are other ways of showing respect.

Further, the farcical scheduling of last season's games at the latter end of the season played a not-insignificant part in us missing out on the title.

I said then, and I say it now, Rangers should look after their own interests and if that means being the media-whipping boys (like we aren't already) then so be it.

A football man has lost his life and I agree whole heartidly with the postponement.

I agree that last year was a shambles. But for the sake of what is just a game for christs sake lets not forget it is a life that has been lost. That is more important than any game, sport, club .....

A football man has lost his life and I agree whole heartidly with the postponement.

I agree that last year was a shambles. But for the sake of what is just a game for christs sake lets not forget it is a life that has been lost. That is more important than any game, sport, club .....

Agreed 100%

I agree half and half. If the person is buried or cremated before or on a Thursday then i think the game should go on. If the cremation is on the Friday or the person has not yet been buried or cremated then i feel there is a case for postponement. If my boss dies i have to work the day after so i don't see why people in football should be different to the rest of the world.

A minutes silence or applause should be enough.

No-one is arguing that the man shouldn't be honoured but as you say, football is "only a game" so why even consider postponing it? It's trivial so let it go on.

Where else does everyone a week off work because a colleague dies? There are plenty of ways of showing deep respect but that isn't normally one of them. We have 5000 people at work and there is news of a funeral someone who works or used to work here a couple of times a month. Imagine we closed for a week each time?

But I still contend that honouring a FOOTBALL man by CANCELLING football is totally illogical.

If you want to give the players a DAY off, why not the day after his death when they are supposed to be at training? In fact I'll bet they are still training than all sitting at home grieving.

I think they should play in HONOUR of the man with a minutes silence/applause and maybe some gesture before the match like reading a eulogy and placing a wreath.

McFadden did so for POD and scored in honour of him. It inspired him rather than detracted.

The long time TRADITION is to play on. It's only since Diana died that people think the world should stop. To me it's a completely false sentiment.