Walter's ill-informed outburst riles the decent, web-savvy fan

I don't know how they can compare the riot in Manchester with ANY other game. To compare you'd have to have a British team with 200,000 fans in a European final in a British city. Allow them to drink all day and then switch a big TV off just before kick-off.

Not only that, add a few hundred English football hooligans into the mix (it's even doubtful many Rangers fans were directly involved) combined with terrible policing and you now have a proper comparison.

I think a very succinct contrast would be that of the Chelsea fans who rioted in Fulham after the CL final.

A few hundred people came out of the pubs and two hundred of them rioted - why? Because they lost...

Why isn't that riot continually mentioned? 1% of Rangers fans rioted for a reason, 70% of Chelsea fans rioted for no reason.

Yet again, we are ones demonised.

I don't know how they can compare the riot in Manchester with ANY other game. To compare you'd have to have a British team with 200,000 fans in a European final in a British city. Allow them to drink all day and then switch a big TV off just before kick-off.

Yet again, we are ones demonised.

Excellent point

carldvelle

Ps NO British team could go to any British city with that many fans and not have trouble.Hope Im not being controversial but the day after I came back from Manchester I thought it was a good thing that we never won,it was a good thing we never even scored I believe there would have been a disaster down there,there would have been hysteria i think if we would have won hysteria down there hysteria up here.add into that the death of Tommy Burns.Sorry but i cant help what I think.

Rangers Forever

carldvelle

Edited by carldvelle
want to add a point

There are a few versions allegedly BD...

1. The version they sung after the Man Utd game asking to go home;

2. Some song about McGeady;

3. One about Mike McCurry being a hun (now outlawed by the courts - article on this coming soon!);

4. One about the Ibrox Disaster (which I haven't seen substantiated yet).

Yes we have a few songs to that tune,but certainly not one that refers to the Ibrox Disaster.For the record most Celtic fans (at least the ones i know ) are not offended by the famine song in the slightest.I honestly dont particularly care what any set of fans sing .The minute you tell them what to sing and what not to sing is the day we should all just chuck it.I come from a mixed family and in my social circles its pretty much a 50/50 kind of set up with the token Thistle fan.We constantly refer to each other as ******s,huns ,*******s ,dobs ..etc and its all in banter...take that away and its over.Yes some people take it to extremes on both sides ,but most rant ,rave and shout and ball,then go home to their Catholic or Protestant wife (or husband) or go for a pint with their pals from the other side.To much is being made about sectarianism in Scotland its is far less common that politians and the like would have us all believe.

Whilst I agree with Ricky too - it has to be said that it was one single solitary person who, having watched his team get pumped, decided that he had to get retribution some way and thought that by trying to cast Rangers as the big bad bigots would be the right way to go about it.

It is not just the journos that caused this - some self-righteous, small-minded, offended, childish person created the hassle surrounding the famine song.

Other songs ? I am sure it was a mixture of journos and fans.

It kills the banter and that is a crying shame - but the problems dont lie solely at the journalists feet.

Whilst I agree with Ricky too - it has to be said that it was one single solitary person who, having watched his team get pumped, decided that he had to get retribution some way and thought that by trying to cast Rangers as the big bad bigots would be the right way to go about it.

It is not just the journos that caused this - some self-righteous, small-minded, offended, childish person created the hassle surrounding the famine song.

Other songs ? I am sure it was a mixture of journos and fans.

It kills the banter and that is a crying shame - but the problems dont lie solely at the journalists feet.

Yup 1 single solitary person who probably has never been to CP or could even spell Celtic:ffs: On the day...the better team won ...end of:brick: Just go home (no pun intended) dust yourself down and look forward to Dec 27

Yup 1 single solitary person who probably has never been to CP or could even spell Celtic:ffs: On the day...the better team won ...end of:brick: Just go home (no pun intended) dust yourself down and look forward to Dec 27

Exactly Ricky. Sadly even some of the level-headed support are happy to jump on the issue as it is a way to "get one over" on Rangers - what they dont realise is it opens the likelihood of tit-for-tat and that helps neither team and neither support !

I think it's interesting how many Celtic fans are now wanting to downplay fan behaviour just as attention is now being placed upon them.

Cynical moi? ;)

Yep,as they say what goes roond ye comes roond ye.

Can I just say to Ricky o I have never heard any song about ID from celtic fans.

Carldvelle

I think it's interesting how many Celtic fans are now wanting to downplay fan behaviour just as attention is now being placed upon them.

Cynical moi? ;)

I can only speak for myself,i have no intention of downplaying our behaviour or any other teams fans behaviour.Quite the opposite in fact.But from my own standpoint... yes i have endulged in the past in the singing of questionable songs ,but i have "grown up " and as a father of 2 ,one of whom has had a ST beside myself and the lads i attend the game with since he was 4 (now 11) and one (aged 4) who is now starting to ask if he came come to games as well ,i dont want them hearing songs of that nature.But unfortunately as i attend both home and away with my eldest,i have to put up with unsavoury songs,i dont deny we have a large element that sing them.What i would like to hear, is fans of both clubs accept that they BOTH have elements that sing songs that could be somehow seen as offensive to the other side ,instead of constantly claiming "the other lot are worse ,and we`re lily white" because this clearly isnt the case.As ive said before no song that Rangers fans sing offend me personally as im quite thick skinned .The whole sectarian thing that surrounds the o/f actually bores me shitless tbh.I attend Mass every week but it annoys me that blokes who sit next to me rant and rave about being a great Catholic ,yet if they walked through the doors of a Catholic church it would most probably fall down .Likewise Rangers fans who claim to be "guid Proddies " couldnt tell you how to get to their nearsest CoS.