http://="http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=17415566%26method=full%26siteid=66633%26headline=why%2di%2daxed%2dgers%2dgame%2d-name_page.html"

WHY I AXED GERS GAME

I must protect the 261,000 people who live in Bolton Other forces warned us off after previous troubles BY TOP COP DAVE LEA

By Keith Jackson

THE police chief who blocked Rangers' trip to Bolton last night insisted he did it for the safety of the 261,000 people who live and work in the town.

Chief Superintendent Dave Lea of Greater Manchester Police made the damning remark after pulling the plug on Tuesday's pre-season friendly.

Rangers supporters and officials are furious over the decision to scrap next week's planned pre-season friendly at the Reebok Stadium and view the GMP decision as a slap in the face. Fans group the Rangers Supporters Trust even issued a misguided statement yesterday in which it was claimed absurdly this newspaper was attempting to smear the reputation of the Ibrox club by reporting on the reason behind the shock decision.

But last night Lea confirmed he pulled the plug on the match because he feared for the safety of locals. Lea said: "It's down to public safety issues.

"We've had detailed discussions with the club and, as a result, it was quite clear to us we were not in a position to under take an operation which could guarantee public safety across the town.

"It's specifically in relation to the information we have. We have made a clear assessment of the issues that it will present.

"It's my job to ensure the safety, not just of the people in the ground, but of the 261,000 people who live and work in Bolton."

GMP also confirmed our revelation that the decision had been made following discussions with other English forces who have handled Rangers games as far back as 10 years ago.

Discussions were held with Merseyside police chiefs about a pre-season match between Everton and Rangers eight years ago when fans clashed in the streets outside Goodison.

But that has added to the sense of Rangers' victimisation-especially as the supporters have recently been commended by forces in Derby, Newcastle and even Manchester itself.

Ibrox security chief Lawrence Macintyre is furious at the way in which the GMP have dealt with the matter, not least as Rangers received no contact from the force until Monday night - almost 12 hours after the decision to scrap the game had been taken.

It was then during a heated telephone conversation with Lea that Macintyre told how a match commander from Old Trafford had written to him to compliment Rangers on "the good behaviour of their fans" at a Champions League clash less than three years ago.

Macintyre is also privately refuting fresh claims made by GMP yesterday that it was Rangers who advised Bolton as many as 120 buses of fans were set to travel.

In fact, although Lea expected 12,000 Rangers fans to turn up less than half of the 5000 allocation had been sold when the decision was made to pull the plug.

GMP had also expressed fears the original cost of policing the match would soar from a standard £30,000 to as much as £90,000.

Record Sport understands Rangers offered to hand back a substantial match fee in order to help cover any increased costs but received no response.

Rangers suspect that, following football-related disturbances in Bolton after England crashed out of the World Cup, local politicians have pressurised the police into turning Scottish fans away.

Lea added: "There has been some speculation as to the reasons behind the public safety concerns that led to the decision of Greater Manchester Police not to provide policing services at the match.

"The agreed ticket allocation for Rangers was 5000. However, the club then provided information Bolton should expect 12,000.

"Information provided by Rangers indicated that in excess of 120 coaches would be attending, which were not capable of being received. A Premiership fixture would attract no more than 17."

The game will now be played in Glasgow behind closed doors on Tuesday.

Well thats his response... talk about spin!!

Thoughts??

So thats twice he's abused his influence to twist the real story... and the club STILL havent done anything about it?! not even a hint of an apology either!!

and he's doing what he set out to do! as i know that some people are believing his lies, or not realising the truth! unfortunately, some people will want to believe this, and this will already have been lodged in their minds!! alot of the damage has been done. hopefully we can keep the pressure on and reverse it tho!

Jackson and The Retard are trying to dig themsevles out of a hole without losing 'face' - all they are doing is digging deeper - long may this continue.

Ding, Ding, Round 2 - Over to the RST (which I am a proud memeber of now!)

Cammy F

... i will soon be a member too, Cammy (would sort it out tonight but i have my priorities straight - going to the pub on a work thing! :D )

Apart from the RST putting pressure on Rangers, i dont see what else we can do ... bombarding the club or the record with emails will just be the usual waste of time

... i will soon be a member too, Cammy (would sort it out tonight but i have my priorities straight - going to the pub on a work thing! :D

I think Craig still has 4 spaces left for memberships that he paid for.... if they havent expired or been given away yet.

I think Craig still has 4 spaces left for memberships that he paid for.... if they havent expired or been given away yet.

Correcta mondo Chris (haven't paid for them but still have the money sitting waiting to be used).

Cammy, I wil send you an extra 10 quid when I send you the money for the banner - so you take 10 quid of it for yourself.

Jim, do you have paypal or anything such like and I can give you the 10 quid for your membership too ?

Craig, did you pay for Bears to join the RST?...

If so, that is a cracking gesture :thup:

Makes me feel like a prick for not joining yet :o and I will do so ASAP

That was his first act on the board, and made him an honorary (sp?) legend. Pity i had joined a week or two beforehand... :mad: lol.

Craig, did you pay for Bears to join the RST?...

If so, that is a cracking gesture :thup:

Makes me feel like a prick for not joining yet :o and I will do so ASAP

I did Koeman - and it kicked off a huge fuss (my naivety in all things financial+internet caused it).

If you give me your details I can send an email to Joanne at the Trust and she can input all your details for you Koeman (Frankie, I think I have lost Joanne's email address - can you please provide again ?) - I THINK that all is required is your name, email address and mailing address - Joanne can put all the details in and then you will receive your welcome email and share certificate through the post.

I offered 10 memberships and was taken up with 6 of them - so I still have a few quid to spare on them -