Football, Fashion & Fighting

Quality article Cammy. :)

Not really sure that I agree that casuals & firms partially died off due to getting into the rave scene though. Even if many of them did get into the rave scene (which I'm quite sure they did), I think their profile change was more due to the heavy policing & stadium bans that were introduced across the UK in nationwide efforts to curtail the widespread violence that perpetually spread from the Hooligan elements. Like you rightly said, many 'normal' fans would quickly get involved, either to help out fellow supporters in trouble or since after a few jars the prospect of chinning an opposing fan that thought he was a smart ass was quite appealing.

I remember approaching Hampden many years ago for a Scottish Cup Final & as I strolled up the street with a mate, all of a sudden I realized that we were being passed by the ICF who were walking much faster & obviously hurrying to a battle. Looking back now, I'd love to have at least witnessed the battle, but at the time I didn't say anything to the mate I was with & we just carried on strolling up to Hampden at our own pace.

Have to say that I haven't read any of the books you've mentioned, but I really enjoyed the Bravo series on Firms & Hooligans. what was it called again? 'The Real Football Factories' or something? Great series anyway. Funny as f*ck to see the wee fake hard man Danny Dyer shitting his pants every time he met a hardcore firm. :fish: I've watched a few films on the subject as well, but can't remember all the names. I think one of them was just called Football Factories & probably based on the book you mentioned with the same name.

It's strange you know, because part of me likes that whole subject & even respects some of the old school nutters, but at the same time, the violence & Hooligan element in general has definitely brought the game into disrepute over the years & in general a lot of shame. There's also all the innocent bystanders that have been seriously injured or worse because of trouble started by members of the firms.

Mark

Got to say that I've seen very little presence of the Rangers casuals during the years. I went to most games home and away during the 90s

Me either and i was going to plenty games aswell. But maybe this is the good thing about a firm - they dont stand out, unlike the Sheep who think wearing a baseball cap and a burberry jacket makes them a casual.

In their early yeats, The Rangers ICF / Casuals used to sit in the Govan Front, the section right next to the Broomie - they were there for most home games domestically and in Europe.

Away from home, they would try to get as close to the segregation fences / police lines as they could. I remember them from the testimonial at Sunderland, they were out in numbers that day.

Remember that these guys don't have ICF tattooed on their 'brews' - they are just guys like us who go and watch the Rangers. Hard to spot unless they are in their 'firm' - think with the introduction of 'mass season tickets' they were (and probably still are) dotted around Ibrox.

Funnily enough, as well as the casual fashion being adopted into the mainstream of Rangers supporters, their song 'Super Rangers' has also been adopted and is sung with gusto by the 'normal' Rangers fans.

Cammy F