A SLUR campaign against Celtic legend Jock Stein has hit a mobile phone text service, it was revealed last night.

The vile bigots behind the ââ?¬Ë?Big Jock Knewââ?¬â?¢ claims say the former manager kept quiet about a sex abuse scandal at the club.

Now punters who text 118 118 to ask the question ââ?¬Å?What did big Jock know?ââ?¬Â get an answer hinting that Stein failed to report Celtic Boys Club molester Jim Torbett to cops.

Abuse ... Jim Torbett

Abuse ... Jim Torbett

The response reads: ââ?¬Å?Big Jock Knew refers to the ex-manager of Celtic football club Jock Stein.

ââ?¬Å?It pertains to a matter that Stein knew but didnââ?¬â?¢t report to the authorities.ââ?¬Â

A section of Rangers fans have been blasted for singing ââ?¬Ë?Big Jock Knewââ?¬â?¢ at Old Firm games.

The chant alleges former Scotland boss Stein tried to cover up Torbett�s sordid activities in the 1970s.

But last night the 118 118 link was slammed by Celtic fan and MP George Galloway.

Mr Galloway said: ââ?¬Å?There are no depths these disgusting bigots wonââ?¬â?¢t sink to. They could slither under the belly of a snake with ease.

ââ?¬Å?Steinââ?¬â?¢s name and reputation will live on when these anonymous bigots are dust.ââ?¬Â

Galloway added: ââ?¬Å?Thanks to The Scottish Sun for pointing this out. Iââ?¬â?¢ll be raising this in Parliament immediately.ââ?¬Â

Torbett was convicted of abusing several lads who played for Celtic Boys Club in the 70s.

Advertisement

His crimes became public in 1996 when former player Alan Brazil revealed that he had been molested at the age of 13 at Torbett�s home in Sighthill, Glasgow.

Torbett was jailed for two-and-a-half years in 1998.

Last night a spokesman for 118 118 said: ââ?¬Å?We have looked into this.

ââ?¬Å?The answer to the question just refers to a historical subject matter without offering any opinion or implication.ââ?¬Â

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article2064748.ece

Why is there such a propaganda effort to cover this up? I agree singing about it etc is tasteless but I can't see how it's bigoted in any way.

I don't see how telling facts about someone doing a cover up job for a heinous crime can be so condemned.

Where is the basic intelligence?

PS There is plenty of sectarianism on both sides of the OF divide but why are Rangers fans being continually painted in the press and by politicians as bigots for non-sectarian acts, songs and chants?

Plenty of the stuff is distasteful (and when is banter from a heated rivalry ever tasteful?) but far from sectarian.

If fans are to be arrested for being distasteful then most Celtic and Aberdeen fans would be in the pokey.

So now stating facts that appeared in a court case is deemed bigoted - only in this shity poxy country that we live in.....

BTW - Big Jock did know, did nothing about it and deserves all the abuse that goes with covering up child abuse.

Cammy F

Just read that George Galloway is going to raise this issue in the Commons and has implied that anyone who claims that Jock Stein knew about the sex abuse at Celtic Boys Club is a bigot.

Well, Mr Galloway, before you go and make a shop-front of yourself (again), and for anyone reading this from The Sun newspaper - why don't you's go and ask Billy McNeill for a quote - Billy will inform you whether Jock knew (or not).

Otherwise, may be worth reading the article below :

`JOCK STEIN COVERED UP BOYS' CLUB SEX SHAME' Ex-chief tells court Celtic did nothing.(News)

Article from: The Mirror (London, England) Article date: November 7, 1998 Author: McILWRAITH, GORDON | Copyright informationCOPYRIGHT 1998 MGN LTD. This material is published under license from the publisher through the Gale Group, Farmington Hills, Michigan. All inquiries regarding rights should be directed to the Gale Group. (Hide copyright information)

JOCK Stein and the Celtic board covered up allegations made against Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett, it was claimed yesterday.

Torbett, who is now accused of abusing three boys while he was at the club, was literally kicked out of Parkhead by Stein, a court heard.

But, when the claims subsequently surfaced, Stein and the directors were anxious to keep the image of the club clean and nothing more was done.

The claim was made by former Boys' Club chairman Hugh Birt, 61, who told Glasgow Sheriff Court that, when he first heard the allegations, he didn't have enough ...

----------------

Cammy F

How anyone can be a bigot for merely stating their opinion (actually..... is it an opinion given that someone testified same under oath ?) that an individual knew that someone else had perpetrated a crime is beyond me.

There is not, nor will there ever be, anything bigotted about that.

Either way though I really do wish we would get away from the whole BJK thing - it is cringe-worthy at best and embarrassing (yes, THEY should be embarrassed that he did nothing but it is embarrassing that we have stooped this low too).

It is unfathomable to me that George Galloway, or ANY other MP, sees this issue as fit to raise in the Commons when the country is headed into a recession worse than many of us have ever seen in our lives. Note to George et al - SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE YOU FOOLS.

George Galloway, another one to add to the list of we would be better of if he was dead!!! Might be a disgusting opinion to some, but I find him a loathsome little man.

I'm sure that the cash from the charity War on Want was only "resting in his account".

Letter sent to Mr Galloway today - I'll let you know if I get a response.

Dear Mr Galloway,

I read with interested you comments in todayââ?¬â?¢s edition of The Sun newspaper regarding the so called ââ?¬Ë?Big Jock Knewââ?¬â?¢ campaign and was astonished that you deem anyone linked to this as a ââ?¬Ë?bigotââ?¬â?¢.

I implore you to define how anyone asking, stating, shouting, singing or texting Big Jock Knew is a ââ?¬Ë?bigotââ?¬â?¢. The fact that Jock Stein was aware of sex abuse happening under his nose at The Celtic Boys Club is well documented and was recorded during the subsequent court case that (finally) saw James Torbett found guilty for his crimes.

Celtic legend Billy McNeill is on record as stating that Torbettââ?¬â?¢s actions were an open secret and that his actions were known at the highest level of the club. I have also attached a report from The Mirror (dated 7th Novemeber 1998) where Boys Club Chief Hugh Birt confirmed that Jock Stein was aware of this abuse. Stein is known to have sacked Torbett but didnââ?¬â?¢t report this abuse to the appropriate authorities stating that he wanted to keep the image of the club ââ?¬Ë?cleanââ?¬â?¢.

Also Mr Galloway, why do you, as MP for Bethnal Green, feel obliged to get involved in issues that have no interest for the vast majority of your constituents? Your time, and our tax payers money would be better spent if you were to refrain from stocking the fires of sectarianism with your lies and innuendo and focus your attentions on the needs of those you are supposed to represent.

So Mr Galloway, I await a full retraction of your ludicrous and inaccurate claims that Jock Stein was unaware and that anyone who says otherwise is a bigot.

Yours truly,

Cammy F

The Mirror article as above...