Joey Barton re-signs at Man City

Joey Barton has ended speculation about his future by signing a new four-year contract at Manchester City.

Barton has had a stormy relationship with City over the past few months after he handed in a transfer request in January.

City were keen to tie Barton down to a new deal, with just one year remaining on his previous contract.

Barton has now signed a four-year deal at Eastlands, shunning interest from Middlesbrough - who were the only club to really make a move for the midfielder.

"It is great that everything has been sorted out," admitted Barton.

"I am grateful for the support and faith the manager and the chairman have shown me by offering me this contract. The support I have received from City fans has also been a great boost.

"I am ambitious and so is the club. I said if the club would sign quality players I would commit my future to City. The club has done that and I am a man of my word.

"Since we came back from the pre-season break there is a real mood of optimism at the club. I have always given my absolute maximum for this football club and I am looking forward to the new season and helping City challenge at the highest level."

City boss Stuart Pearce added: "This is excellent news.

"I have always maintained that Joey's future lay with this football club and the player is very happy here.

"Joey is improving as a player and I am sure with continued hard work on his and our part, he can achieve his ambitions at Manchester City."