Fans funding for financial situation

Guest John Lawrence

Tremendous post above Big Spliff...

May I use the content (and edited slightly) for a main site/NewsNow article - obviously you'll be credited as author?

Thanks Frankie - If you tell me when you need it, I can write it "properly" , I was just on a rant there :)

Hopefully will get some thoughts/discussion when people have time (or inclination:))

Yeah, if you can write up when you get a chance - no real rush - that would be superb. It's exactly the kind of constructive suggestion that the fans should be providing to the club.

Of course a similar idea has been investigated in the past (which you may or may not have been aware of) but circumstances are always changing so it would be good to float it again.

Yeah, if you can write up when you get a chance - no real rush - that would be superb. It's exactly the kind of constructive suggestion that the fans should be providing to the club.

Of course a similar idea has been investigated in the past (which you may or may not have been aware of) but circumstances are always changing so it would be good to float it again.

Cool thanks, I'll do that and get it back to you.

I appreciate that there may be little new in here, but sometimes its a different combination of the best existing ideas that provides a spark. I'm not particularly aware of who floated a similar idea in the past, or what the details were - I'd like to look at what's already been done if at all possible.

I'd agree, Spliff. Good first post. Our current borrowings are secured internally and it would be possible to similar in the future.

Not an easy thing to do, but not impossible.

Are they? What about the revolving credit facility?

Are they? What about the revolving credit facility?

The bank have a floating charge and a guarantee from each "group company" and I believe that group is the Rangers group and not the MIH group given the context it is used in.

I seem to recall that a request for suggestions was made both on the RST website and by email to RST members.

No, I can say categorically that I received no such email - or any other form of communication soliciting my opinion. Posting something on the RST website (that hub of information) is hardly acceptable - how many members do you think saw that.

Perhaps, as with most other RST issues, business was simply conducted on the FF website. Although what FF has got to do with the RST has never been explained, at least not openly or truthfully. And that bag of worms, my friends, is fundamentally at the root of the RST's failure.

Edited by maineflyer

No, I can say categorically that I received no such email - or any other form of communication soliciting my opinion. Posting something on the RST website (that hub of information) is hardly acceptable - how many members do you think saw that.

Perhaps, as with most other RST issues, business was simply conducted on the FF website. Although what FF has got to do with the RST has never been explained, at least not openly or truthfully. And that bag of worms, my friends, is fundamentally at the root of the RST's failure.

I'll do a search to see if I can find the email later, if I get a chance. It would only have been members of Gersave whose opinions would have been solicited.

The RST website article was also posted on at least 3 other fans' websites. However I would agree with your second paragraph in general.

Shortly before the resignations there was an attempt at improved communication via a revamped Blue Spirit, regular emails via the Joomla site software and member interaction via a new renewal package and questionaire/survey. It wasn't a perfect strategy but it was workable in terms of the finance, experience and logistics we had available. Further investigations into improvement were also under consideration.

As such an email would have certainly been sent to all Gersave member email addresses on record at the time of the initial Gersave tranche submission (November 2007). The request would have also been sent to the Yahoo list (or should have been by the members secretary) and posted on Newsnow, FF, Gersnet, Gersforum and RM which was the full amount of forums I used at that time.

We certainly got a fair few ideas back but decided, rightly or wrongly, as a board on putting the money towards Youth Development. I'll stop short of claiming the money has developed John Fleck and Danny Wilson... ;)

The new RST secretary Fraser Martin said on Radio Scotland on Saturday evening that the next �£50K tranche was now ready to be put into the club. I've no idea if the board intend changing the way they consult the membership in that regard.

In terms of canvassing opinion all members on the database (paid up or lapsed) also recieved a renewal package around March/April last year with the short survey mentioned above inviting answers to ~12 questions as well as any general comments/feedback along with a pre-paid envelope. The resignations happened shortly after this so I've no idea how successful this was or if any feedback was acted upon. There were a few completed surveys received before I resigned that I'm aware of.

Unfortunately, the people reponsible for the effort to improve communications and the new renewal package all resigned - other than the members secretary who IIRC also worked very hard to send out the information contained within it via the actual practical work of stuffing several thousand envelopes. The package itself cost a fair amount to put together IIRC.

Apparently, these initiatives have not been followed through by the 'new' board so the success of them can't be measured from my point of view as I am no longer a member.

I'm told emails have stopped completely (other than to the small Yahoo list once or twice); the quarterly Blue Spirit hasn't been sent out at all since we resigned; and, given the failure to consult the membership before changing their main strategic operations (ie working with/against the club administration), interaction with fans seems limited. Certainly FF seems to be the main place for sourcing info on the organisation - the RST website seems almost defunct nowadays.

Rather a poor performance in this area given the personal assurances of the new vice-chair at the July 2008 EGM where he said communication would be improved and members involved in all project decision-making.

This, I'm reliably informed, was to be a SD backed initiative called In-Touch (link below for info) which certainly seems a good choice and would have been something I'd have investigated myself. No idea why this hasn't been implemented. 29 other Trusts are using this system with good feedback.

https://www.intouchwithmembers.co.uk/background.html

As a life member yourself perhaps you should contact them and raise all the above to find out their progress?

Edited by Frankie

Shortly before the resignations there was an attempt at improved communication via a revamped Blue Spirit, regular emails via the Joomla site software and member interaction via a new renewal package and questionaire/survey. It wasn't a perfect strategy but it was workable in terms of the finance, experience and logistics we had available. Further investigations into improvement were also under consideration.

As such an email would have certainly been sent to all Gersave member email addresses on record at the time of the initial Gersave tranche submission (November 2007). The request would have also been sent to the Yahoo list (or should have been by the members secretary) and posted on Newsnow, FF, Gersnet, Gersforum and RM which was the full amount of forums I used at that time.

We certainly got a fair few ideas back but decided, rightly or wrongly, as a board on putting the money towards Youth Development. I'll stop short of claiming the money has developed John Fleck and Danny Wilson... ;)

The new RST secretary Fraser Martin said on Radio Scotland on Saturday evening that the next �£50K tranche was now ready to be put into the club. I've no idea if the board intend changing the way they consult the membership in that regard.

In terms of canvassing opinion all members on the database (paid up or lapsed) also recieved a renewal package around March/April last year with the short survey mentioned above inviting answers to ~12 questions as well as any general comments/feedback along with a pre-paid envelope. The resignations happened shortly after this so I've no idea how successful this was or if any feedback was acted upon. There were a few completed surveys received before I resigned that I'm aware of.

Unfortunately, the people reponsible for the effort to improve communications and the new renewal package all resigned - other than the members secretary who IIRC also worked very hard to send out the information contained within it via the actual practical work of stuffing several thousand envelopes. The package itself cost a fair amount to put together IIRC.

Apparently, these initiatives have not been followed through by the 'new' board so the success of them can't be measured from my point of view as I am no longer a member.

I'm told emails have stopped completely (other than to the small Yahoo list once or twice); the quarterly Blue Spirit hasn't been sent out at all since we resigned; and, given the failure to consult the membership before changing their main strategic operations (ie working with/against the club administration), interaction with fans seems limited. Certainly FF seems to be the main place for sourcing info on the organisation - the RST website seems almost defunct nowadays.

Rather a poor performance in this area given the personal assurances of the new vice-chair at the July 2008 EGM where he said communication would be improved and members involved in all project decision-making.

This, I'm reliably informed, was to be a SD backed initiative called In-Touch (link below for info) which certainly seems a good choice and would have been something I'd have investigated myself. No idea why this hasn't been implemented. 29 other Trusts are using this system with good feedback.

https://www.intouchwithmembers.co.uk/background.html

As a life member yourself perhaps you should contact them and raise all the above to find out their progress?

That makes it sound like the Trust were highly proactive and diligent. I'm not sure that accurately reflects reality for many of us. It's not important in itself but fairly typical that it took me six emails over two years to get them to send me a membership card - despite twice being told it was being sent. As for contacting the Trust and asking questions, I can assure you I do that regularly. The last time was a few days ago. I can recall one reply only, from the current chairman shortly after he took up the post, promising regular contact with the membership and a great deal more consultation - that was the last I heard. There always seems to be this discrepancy between intention and delivery with the Trust. Many words, negligible action. I've no doubt there were many laudable plans laid, the problem has always been translating them into something the membership could actually see.

Perhaps I just never got sorted out in the old database but that doesn't excuse just ignoring emails sent via their website.

The one good idea that ever came through to me was the Blue Spirit which I thought was a good idea but which was more of an historical PR summary and could hardly be construed as particularly effective communication.

I've had one unsolicited communication from the Trust in the last year, asking if I would sign over my vote for the AGM. When I refused to do so they asked if I would like my life membership fee returned. I declined. Otherwise, nada.

I've had one unsolicited communication from the Trust in the last year, asking if I would sign over my vote for the AGM. When I refused to do so they asked if I would like my life membership fee returned.

What a strange reaction from them. :confused: