Don't Treat Fans Like This

Just read an interesting article in the online SUN dated 31/1.

Des McKeown was writing about the appalling way supporters are treated. This time it was mainly about 'Well's game at Inverurie being repeatedly postphoned and the subsequent logistical chaos it meant for the support.

However, the message he was putting over was that in any " business " , as football is now being called, the customer is king, otherwise there wouldn't be a business. This is very true is it not ?

So, is football a business or not ?

We keep being told that the Club is a business and yet we, the customers, are often treated with disdain and are the last to be considered, or even consulted, when matters affect us all.

Why do most of us put up with it ? Have we been worn down over the years in order to now expect little in return.

Please discuss.

The difference between supporting the football club as a customer and supporting a business as a customer is primarily the emotion and the subsequent effect that the club has a 'monopoly'.

As much as the club lets us down on occasion we simply don't have the option of shrugging our shoulders and going to Tesco instead of Asda as would if our shop let us down.

Emotional blackmail is how to describe it. I'm just always surprised at the number of fans who don't demand more of their club.

:(

Edited by Frankie

Do you mean the kind of emotional blackmail when a battered wife keeps returning to the husband who batters her. If you do then this is not right, is it ?

This will mean that support for the Club will steadily dwindle until only the masochists, the downright stupid, and the blinded loyal remain.

Can the Club sustain this ?

I agree mate. For example, I don't agree with the way the club is being run in many ways. Nonetheless, I'll still be inclined to renew season ticket over the next few months as I still want to support my club.

Can they sustain their alleged disdain for people like me? I doubt I'd be patient forever but going by the 45,000 fans at Ibrox last night and the continual high season ticket numbers, plenty more will be....

I agree mate. For example, I don't agree with the way the club is being run in many ways. Nonetheless, I'll still be inclined to renew season ticket over the next few months as I still want to support my club.

Can they sustain their alleged disdain for people like me? I doubt I'd be patient forever but going by the 45,000 fans at Ibrox last night and the continual high season ticket numbers, plenty more will be....

And another year will pass and another opportunity will be gone. And so it goes round and round, year after year, exchanging short term gain for long term pain. :confused:

To see your team playing well and being successful can be an uplifting experience.Therefore, fans will do all they can to ensure it continues. It's a natural instinct to feel happy and fulfilled.

Alternatively, if your team plays poorly and even you can see it is badly organised, as you are ignored and impotent to act, it will lead to your frustration, and anger will soon occupy your every thought whenever you are reminded. You will distance yourself from the aggravation. ( the Asda/Tesco not being an option )

I, for one, don't want to become a bitter and twisted supporter as many are, particularly in the Old Firm. This can manifest itself in religious hatred as frustrations are taken out on opposing groups. This doesn't happen in most other clubs as their supporters hope for the best but deep down, expect the worst.

Rangers and the other lot always expect the best and because only 1 can be the best, the other has to settle for runners up ( usually! ) This, in turn, leads to frustration etc etc. Vicious circle. Supporters will leave holding on to their sanity and new ones will join full of optimism.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. A bit of a mini rant.

There's 3 things in my life that will be constant and will not change. My family, my country and my football team. :o

Whilst my approach to supporting my club may in some ways be detrimental, I do not have the strength of will not to go to games (albeit more difficult for me at the minute), not to buy the shirts and the merchandise, not to support the club in every way I can.

Whilst the club needs the sort of revolution that perhaps the ****s had, I find it difficult to envisage a scenario where I will not give unconditional support to the club I love. It is a large part of who I am, what makes me... me. :o

As many have stated when one business treats you like shit, you buy from their competitior. Truth is, for most businesses, the actions of one individual mean fuck all. In any case, I digress. The point is, for myself and many others, there is no choice, there is no competitor, or at least I will not consider one. It's Rangers unconditionally.

I may not agree with the man who currently runs my club. But unlike this man, I am a true football fan, a true Rangers fan, in every sense of the word. Rangers is not a business, it's not even just a football club. It's an enormous family, it's an institution. Rangers is my passion, my life (:o). I will not go and support Partick Thistle because I cannot reconcile my differences with the man who runs the club. I would not turn my back on them if by some bizarre happenstance we were plying our trade in the lowest league in Scotland. We all know those famous words:

"Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers"

Unfortunately it is a sad acceptance that whilst those who do not share our passion for the club are in the position to bring such years of failure. However such is the one sided nature of the true support of your football team that you abide these difficult times with unyielding support.

Some will reach breaking point. Some will campaign for change. Some will make the difficult decisions. Will not by the shirts, will not purchase the merchandise, most importantly will not pay the season tickets prices. For that they must be applauded. It can be argued their support and love of the club is arguably greater than mine and greater than those like me. I however feel resigned to blindly follow following, no matter the circumstances.

It is a feeling, an attachment I feel I could never adequately elucidate. :o

(Perhaps I need to grow up and see what is truly important in life. I know myself well enough to know that will never be the case.)

Edited by Super_Ally

The difference between supporting the football club as a customer and supporting a business as a customer is primarily the emotion and the subsequent effect that the club has a 'monopoly'.

As much as the club lets us down on occasion we simply don't have the option of shrugging our shoulders and going to Tesco instead of Asda as would if our shop let us down.

Emotional blackmail is how to describe it. I'm just always surprised at the number of fans who don't demand more of their club.

Don't shop @ Asda.................Tesco is better :cheers:

I believe our chairman, and other club owners like him, treat football clubs as unique business opportunities for the very reasons stated above because, in football, no true supporter ever changes brand.

I rarely go to games now mainly due to health and finances. However, I have kids and I often buy them merchandise. I have tried to " walk away " mentally from the Club as I have more pressing personal issues to deal with but it's not as easy as you say S. A.

Everyone has many fantastic memories of great times at the Club and I guess we all live in hope that they will return.

I really do hope Mr. Murray has the same feelings and passion for Rangers as we do and is simply not just saying so for the benefit of the support, or consumers as we must also be called if our Club is a business. I am very suspicious of his true feelings every time I hear he is looking for a " suitable buyer.

For all reasons previously stated ask yourself this. Could you walk away from Rangers Football Club if you supported it AND owned it as Mr. Murray is looking to do?

I