Final Boyd thread.

Woo-hoo! Another Boyd thread.

Just a few quick points without getting drawn in to the usual stuff which just ends up going back and forth.

I still think if we sort out our creative problems in the midfield, any pair of our current strike force would score a shed-load of goals in the SPL.

Boyd isn't a target man, so why do we persist with long balls, time after time, especially when chasing a game.

Boyd clearly wants to play for The Gers which is to be applauded. So surely that attitude alone should be enough for our management and coaches to work with in terms of improving his fitness and all-round play. Unless there's serious deficiencies in our coaching, I don't for one minute believe any of our players have an attitude problem and don't give a toss in training. If they do, then why are they still here?

He has improved in his time here, surely no-one can argue against that? If he hasn't improved enough, then we either ship him out or ask questions about our coaching methods?

Oh, and the "indiscipline" thing. Again, he should have been hammered for that, but there were a lot of strange goings on at that time and I still don't think we know the full story. Strong leadership from our esteemed leader would have helped, but we all know that's never going to happen.

The bottom line is that he is scoring goals which is the main point of having a striker. Play doesn't always break down when he's involved outside the box, but there's no doubt he'll benefit from a more mobile player up with him and also a regular strike partner alongside him to strike up some sort of understanding.

He's also criticised for not scoring against the "big" teams, Celtic and in Europe. The only problem with that is that he's not played much in Europe. He's also not started against Celtic much and when he has done, we've not exactly been firing on all cylinders. As for not scoring against the "big" teams in the SPL, that list of teams seems to change to suit the argument against him. Besides, we still have to beat all the other teams in the league regardless of how big or little we perceive them to be. I find it laughable that we're talking about (him & us) failing in Europe when we've not won the SPL recently.

Oh, and its also very suspicious apparently that we've not won the league since he's been here. Quite how that becomes down to Boyd is just beyond me.

I still don't understand all the criticism against him, that's my main problem. Whether we win or lose, there's always negative posts on forums about him, even when he's been nowhere near the worst player on the pitch. I don't know what he's done to attract such flak from his own fans?

I don't think anyone has ever said he's the answer to all our striking problems. But at least he's doing his job which is scoring goals. I've said for a while now that he's one of the few guys doing this consistently while we've got much bigger problems to deal with in our starting XI.

If he wasn't in the team, would we have played better football? Possibly, but its doubtful given that we'd still have the same midfield creating the chances.

Anyway, who cares, we're top of the league!!!!!

Edited by ascender

The strange thing for me is not so much whether we are pro or anti-Boyd.

I may be in the minority but when I look at our team each week I honestly look at XI players that should be dominating the other teams, including Celtic.

With Fleck playing wide left and Davis wide right and with Fergie & Mendes in the middle there really is no reason why we shouldn't be dominating, no matter who we play up front.

The defence seems to be back to its stingy self and we really should have enough forward thinking players to turn the screw on teams.

What it looks like to me is that there is either a lack of application, determination and/or a will to win. In that regard I think we are missing Kevin Thomson as it is him, for me, that seems to drive the team on and actually gets players doing more for the cause - similar to the way wee Stuart McCall used to do it.

McCall, without balling and screaming, would urge his players to up their game simply with the energy he showed in his own game.

Right now, we dont have that driving force in the engine room - Ferguson should be that player but he seems to have lost the will to influence games.

Fergie does seem to be the current weakest link...

Yep, and IMO it isnt that he doesnt have the ability - he somehow seems to be lacking the desire and that is unacceptable in a captain.

I dont need a captain that is screaming at his players to up their level but I would expect a captain to give his all and to lead by example - currently he isnt doing that.

Two of the best posts in here are from MF and ascender.

Wasn't going to get involved in this thread. Another Boyd debate was hardly necessary.

Gribz was being a bit reactionary, but I understand it. We all get passionate when debating the club and what we believe is best.

MF makes one of the best points. Whether you like him or not, rate him compared to past players or Europe's elite is largely irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not he is the best choice for the first XI. Most of the time that, for me, is not in doubt.

Sure you could have a guy who does twice the work of Boyd, but if we cant take chances and ultiamtely lose 1-0 or draw 0-0, then your better off with the guy who does less running but more of the important stuff.

Does Boyd's "lower work rate" and goals contribute more than what the other striekrs bring to the table in terms of achieving a succesful league campaign. IMO.... Yes. And that's why he should start when fit and scoring.

Two of the best posts in here are from MF and ascender.

Wasn't going to get involved in this thread. Another Boyd debate was hardly necessary.

Gribz was being a bit reactionary, but I understand it. We all get passionate when debating the club and what we believe is best.

MF makes one of the best points. Whether you like him or not, rate him compared to past players or Europe's elite is largely irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not he is the best choice for the first XI. Most of the time that, for me, is not in doubt.

Sure you could have a guy who does twice the work of Boyd, but if we cant take chances and ultiamtely lose 1-0 or draw 0-0, then your better off with the guy who does less running but more of the important stuff.

Does Boyd's "lower work rate" and goals contribute more than what the other striekrs bring to the table in terms of achieving a succesful league campaign. IMO.... Yes. And that's why he should start when fit and scoring.

Yes, and our goal difference of +10 is due in no small part to ...Mr Boyd. I believe it could yet prove vital, and I don't see the Tims overhauling that.

Kris Boyd has now scored more goals than Mcdonald, Samaras and Hessilink put togther this season, well done Boydy.....:rfc:

Where you getting that stat from johhny ?

Boyd has scored 24 whilst McDonald has scored 13 and Samaras has scored 14 apparently.

Sky Sports site says Macdonald has 9 league goals and 3 in other competions, Samaras 12 and 2 in other competitions, Vinegar 2 league goals and 1 in other competitions.

Boyd 21 league goals and 2 in other competiotions. Miller 9 in the league and 2 in other.

I don't think its updated for this weekend though so slightly different.

There is no doubt that Boyd's form in the last month has dropped off a bit.

In the earlier part of the season, when Miller's form had dropped off to nothing, Boyd was not only out-working him, but outscoring him as well. Miller contributed nothing for weeks.

Boyd has played quite poorly in the last few weeks, coincidentally since he was told by Murray he was being sold and not defended by Smith either.

The difference is that even through a patch of poor form, he is still scoring goals.

The first rule of football is whoever scores the most goals is the winner. Boyd complies. Others dont.

If he gets his earlier season form back, he can take us to this title, because he will always score goals.

I was filling in my predictor last week before the OF game and I had a feeling Smith would bottle it and play 1 up front, with the rumours suggesting Lafferty. I had to fill in the first goalscorer. I looked down the list of players and there was not one I genuinely felt confident that they would score. That tells you everything. Without Boyd, the goals dry up, the wins turn into draws, and the draws turn into defeats.