By Andrew Dickson

ALLY McCOIST has revealed both Nacho Novo and Lee McCulloch are winning their fight to be fit for next month's League Cup final against Celtic.

Lee McCullochStriker Novo is poised to return to full training at the end of the week after he hobbled off during the 2-0 win over Dundee United on January with an ankle knock.

He has made excellent progress and is now hopeful of featuring in the home clash with Inverness next Wednesday.

McCulloch, meanwhile, has discovered he has a minor tear in his calf after going for a scan this morning.

He came off in the 4-0 Scottish Cup fifth round win at Forfar Athletic last Wednesday and it seemed he would miss the Old Firm clash on March 15.

But the injury is not as bad as first feared and he has been given a realistic chance of regaining full fitness before then.

Assistant manager McCoist is delighted the duo are on the mend and has been buoyed by more good news after Gers went top of the league at the weekend.

He said: "I was getting the wee cheesy grin from Nacho today and he's back out running which is great to see.Nacho Novo and Lee McCulloch

"He is a smashing lad with an infectious personality and he's one of those boys who just wants to train and play.

"Nacho is somebody you don't like to have inside being a nuisance in the gymnasium as you'd far rather have him out on the park making a contribution.

"Everybody will be delighted to hear the wee man is not far away from a return now and big Lee is the same.

"He has a very minimal tear in his calf and that happened last week up at Forfar but I'd hope he'll be back in full training in a week to 10 days.

"That's positive news for us and we are pleased about that. Lee is the same and I think he was quite relieved when he got his test results back.

"Both lads are dying to get back playing for

Be good to get Nacho back.

Just because McCulloch is unavailable does not necessarily mean Walter will avoid 4-5-1 does it???

No but who would he trust in that holding midfield role ? I cant see him pitching Edu in and I cant see him moving Davis in one to sit beside BF and Mendes.

No but who would he trust in that holding midfield role ? I cant see him pitching Edu in and I cant see him moving Davis in one to sit beside BF and Mendes.

Even if having McCulloch unavailable would be enough to prevent 4-5-1, I would not be so crass as to not wish him well.

I just don't believe, never have, most probably never will, that 4-5-1 makes the most of our attacking options our midfield or their deficiencies and I think the last game demonstrated that.

We made more decent opportunities with the 4-4-2 and thinking back on it, had Bougherra been fit we would unlikely have conceded the goal we did.

4-4-2 for this bear, but no doubt even if Big Lee doesn't make it, Edu or another will be drafted in. :(