by Lindsay Herron

RANGERS are hoping that Portuguese playmaker Pedro Mendes will not be missing from the climax to the season.

Mendes suffered a heavy thigh injury just before half-time in the semi-final with St Mirren in a challenge with Will Haining and had to be carried off.

The former Tottenham and Porto star looked in serious discomfort as he was taken up the tunnel on a stretcher and the initial fears were that he had suffered a serious knee problem.

However, while he is in discomfort Rangers are hoping the injury will not prevent him from playing a key role in the final five SPL matches and, of course, the Cup Final on May 30.

Assistant boss Ally McCoist said: "I spoke with Pedro and he is very sore at the moment. From our point of view we hope it's nothing more than a kick on the botom of the thigh.

"He is iced up and he he has been strapped up and we will have a better idea in the next couple of days."

Mendes left Hampden on crutches but the Murray Park medical team will get to work on him from Monday once the swelling has gone down.

Anyone else think Davis and Edu would be a good partnership in the middle for the run-in? Davis' creativity from the middle of the park was there for all to see yesterday when he set up all three goals, and Edu has given us a bit of bite in the middle recently which we've missed since KT's injury.

Tin hat on here, but Mendes has flattered to deceive in a number of games of late.

Anyone else think Davis and Edu would be a good partnership in the middle for the run-in? Davis' creativity from the middle of the park was there for all to see yesterday when he set up all three goals, and Edu has given us a bit of bite in the middle recently which we've missed since KT's injury.

Tin hat on here, but Mendes has flattered to deceive in a number of games of late.

Despite the fact it was only one half against St Mirren I would have to agree with your views. Quite a number of fans were impressed with the way Edu and Davis seemed to compliment each other in the middle.

The problem is Smith already has his ideas about players. Davis only played centrally as a last resort and due to lack of options in the match day squad due to unforeseen circumstances.

Davis has been hung out to day by Smith at right mid really due to a lack of quality options. The fact that a badly faltering Davis is our only option at right mid says it all. Novo may be asked to do a job there now, if Mendes is out, which may prove to our benefit for the right hand side position.

Davis and Edu could then become the centre mid partnership.

Unfortunately I foresee Smith returning Davis to the right and bringing in Dailly or McCulloch to play in the centre with Edu. :(

PEDRO MENDES looks like being fit to play a major role in the run-in despite being carred off at Hampden last Saturday.

The Portuguese playmaker was in real pain as he was taken off by stretcher following a challenge with Will Haining in the 3-0 Scottish Cup semi-final win over St Mirren.

However, he was in much better shape yesterday and he will have his thigh injury scanned today.

It is too early to know when he will be able to play again but the medical team are hoping for positive results today.

That being the case he may even be ready for Hearts on Sunday.

MORE ON THIS STORY LATER TODAY

By Andrew Dickson

RANGERS have confirmed Pedro Mendes' thigh injury is not as bad as was first feared after a hospital scan today.

Following tests, the Portuguese midfielder - who has heavy bruising - will now recuperate for a few days with a view to returning to training at the end of the week.

Pedro Mendes and Gary CaldwellIt remains to be seen if he will be risked in Sunday's home meeting with Hearts, especially with the Old Firm derby coming just six days later.

And it could be that the former Champions League winner is given as much time as he needs to ensure he's ready for the vital clash with Celtic on May 9.

News that Mendes is not as seriously hurt as he appeared when he was carried off in the first half of Saturday's 3-0 Scottish Cup semi-final win over St Mirren is a major boost.

And manager Walter Smith has been given a further lift as Lee McCulloch, Sasa Papac and DaMarcus Beasley are all hopeful of being involved at the weekend.

Kirk Broadfoot and Kyle Lafferty are also closing in on comebacks - with the latter having every chance of playing in the derby - as Gers' injury crisis finally clears.

Smith said: "It was a nasty knock Pedro took and a fairly painful one but it has had a bit of time to calm down now.

Pedro Mendes holds his injured knee"There's no ligament damage there and we're hopeful it will settle down further over the next few days.

"There is still a possibility he will be fit for this week's game against Hearts and that's a big relief for us.

"At this stage of the season, we need everybody to be fit and especially in midfield because we've been without Kevin Thomson for a lot of the season.

"When you're a man down in one area, you don't want to lose anyone else through injury or suspensions.

"The news on Pedro is good for us and if the majority of our players can remain fit and we get others back, it will be a big help in our last half dozen games."

by Alison McConnell

RANGERS star Pedro Mendes today confirmed he expects to be fit for the visit of Hearts on Sunday afternoon.

The Portuguese midfielder was injured in Saturday's Scottish Cup victory over St Mirren amid fears that he had suffered serious ligament damage.

Despite the fact he is fit, Mendes was scathing about the tackle from Will Haining that led to him being stretchered off.

Reader Poll

Should Rangers fans get a bigger share of tickets for the Scottish Cup final than their oppenents, Falkirk?

Yes

No

Don't know

"I should be OK to play this weekend," said Mendes. "My knee swelled up quite a bit but I should be fit.

"If my foot had been planted on the pitch, then that kind of tackle could have broken my leg.

"These are some of the tackles that can happen in Scotland; it is a harder, tougher and faster kind of football than the English Premier League."

Mendes has been nominated for the SPFA Player of the Year award, but maintains that his main focus is on securing the title for the Ibrox side.

"I am more worried about winning the SPL title and the Scottish Cup," he said.

"We are one point behind Celtic in the league and we now have the final as well at the end of May. But Celtic still have to come to Ibrox and everything is in our own hands. We can have a great season and win two prizes.

"So I am more concerned with that than any individual award."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2504774.0.0.php