Central defender suggestion - Rafik Halliche

We all know we need another central defender & preferably one with the advantages of youth & pace on his side, so that we have the necessary sharpness & pace throughout the back line to not be embarrassed in that department in the Champions League where we're likely to be up against some of Europe's finest footballers. Reading the latest thread about Bougherra I got to thinking "what if we bring in another Algerian defender who Madjid already knows?" "an Algerian international?". After a quick scout I think I've found an interesting player:- Rafik Halliche is a 22 year old Algerian center back who in the Jan 08 transfer window, received interest from a number of French clubs, namely AJ Auxerre and Valenciennes FC. However, on January 30, he signed a four-year contract with Benfica & moved to Portugal. Benfica immediately loaned him to C.D. Nacional in their own League until the end of the season. He made his debut for Nacional just 8 weeks after signing, coming on at halftime in a 2-0 home league win against Leiria. Obviously competition for starting XI places is extremely fierce in Portugal & as a result Halliche only made 18 appearances for Nacional, although that's perhaps not too bad for a 22 year old center back on loan in Portugal's top league.

So, my thinking with this suggestion is that:-

a] He must be a very decent player as he attracted interest from a few big clubs before Benfica gave him a four year contract.

b] He's been training & playing in Portugal for about 18 months now & will have gained considerable experience from that.

c] He's only 22, but has 5 caps for Algeria.

d] He could possibly be drawn to Ibrox by the prospect of playing with Bougherra and the chance of Champions League football.

e] He wouldn't cost us too much in wages.

f] If signed, he could be a player that has the potential to greatly increase in value.

Is this a player that could slot into our central defense with Madjid & quickly forge a good partnership?

Is it a player we could possibly even get from Benfica relatively cheaply?

Any thoughts?

img.451664_t.jpg

610x.jpg

I think it's Walter Smith you need to convince rather than us... Well done for doing the research but I can't get too interested in a player Rangers are 99.9% likely to not even look at.

LOL Cal, you're right. I should just have given Walter a tinkle. :)

Anyway, it was just something I thought was an interesting suggestion with a lot of positives. A young center back who Bougherra already knows from the Algerian side. Ok, so none of us have ever heard of him before, but Bears are calling for us to sign Gil Blumstein & we'd never heard of him either until a couple of weeks ago.

I know it's likely not to happen, but you never know who reads the forums. :whistle: