Rangers FC outstanding tribute - DTB

Quite a nice article from DoTheBouncy -

Rangers FC outstanding tribute

November 8, 2009 by Stephstar

Yesterday again saw Rangers pull out all the stops to show their support for our troops past and present. It was great to see all our players wear their poppies with pride along with the St Mirren players.they then stood on the edge of the circle for the minutes silence as a mark of respect and a time of reflection on all of those who have died past and present so that we might have the chance of freedom.

You could hear a pin drop around the stadium for the minute and some fans were even moved to tears, no doubt remembering a loved one. I think there are very few of us who cannot say they had a member of their family serving for their country in the devastating world wars. I have grandparents who fought for my freedom and of that I am very proud. Even today brave men and women of our armed forces are dying. whether you agree with the reasoning behind the fighting it does not detract from the fact that these brave men and women are risking and on a daily basis losing their lives.

I was very proud to watch such a fitting tribute paid by both sets of fans and players yesterday. It was no less than I expected as Rangers FC and our supporters have shown many times in the past month our respect and support for these brave men and women from the giving of free tickets to the blue nose days and the parading of our troops who have returned home from active duty, many of whom are not Rangers fans.

Yesterday also saw the club go the extra mile. 100 RAF personnel were invited to Ibrox to participate in the remembrance. Not the first time in the recent past members of our armed forces have been invited to Ibrox so fans could show their respect to these brave people.

At half time a cheque for �£3000 was presented by the RSA to the Erskine and Bennet house who help servicemen and their families. As a granddaughter of a soldier who came back from the war a damaged man that never recovered I have the utmost respect for these organisations.

The Rangers Charity Foundation are also to be commended for their collection that took place before during and after the game in aid of PoppyScotland. An admirable charity devoted to assisting those injured servicemen.

I am proud to say i am a Rangers supporter and all the good works that they are part of. For all our faults these things must never be overlooked.