News & Reports on Rangers Youth Teams

3 of 7 who have gone out on loan, Crawford, McKay and Gallagher are now too old and would be part of the five over age players.

Its a good sign that these players are going out on loan and I only wish there were a few more. Much better for our 18 and 19 year olds playing for other clubs rather than what is now a pretty poor reserve league rather than a youth league. In my opinion these fixtures should be filled by the five over age players on the fringes of the first team and our players at U18 and U17. The likes of Andy Murdoch, Ryan Sinnamon etc would gain little in these fixtures and benefit more playing in league 1 or 2.

So do you think the move to Clyde to play under Barry Ferguson was the best option for Craig Halkett elfideldo?

Personally I think playing for any club in the four divisions is better than playing in this non event that is "The Development League". Rangers played against a full team of Under 20 players in League One last season. Players that were on loan from SPL clubs.

Personally I think playing for any club in the four divisions is better than playing in this non event that is "The Development League". Rangers played against a full team of Under 20 players in League One last season. Players that were on loan from SPL clubs.

Why on earth did they change to this 'development league' system? Why change to the U20 league system, then change it again?

What's wrong with having U21 & U19 (or U18) leagues to coincide with the U21 & U19 national squads? Can clubs not afford to keep that number of youngsters on their books?

It did seem to be a finance thing.

The youth league and cup started out at U18's and has now morphed into U20 tournaments, and in the league's case with FIVE overage players. This has become a pseudo reserve league and clubs see sending their better youth players out on loan as the prefered option. We played against three Aberdeen players and I think six Dundee United in League 2 last season as well as players from other top flight clubs who were out on loan.

Scotland effectively now doesn't have a competitive youth league which is completely out of step with all major countries. When the change was made to "U20" I would have made both u18 and U16's competitive.

Under the current setup there was a proposal to make U17's competitve but the clubs rejected it.

You would think that a good enough number of clubs could field U17, U19 & U21 teams in fully competitive leagues to make it worthwhile and also that it would be hugely beneficial to the development of the players?

Even if it was only 8 to 10 clubs who could field a team in all three youth leagues, at least a good number of Scottish youngsters would be getting competitive development.

It seems as if the people running Scottish football are actively trying to make it worse and kill it off rather than improve it.