Positive Post Alert - A Great Start to 2010

Happy New Year to everyone! Sorry I've not been around recently but illness and holidays meant I enjoyed a good couple of weeks away from you moaning minnies!

Well, great result at the weekend if another rather poor performance at Parkhead. Obviously the loss of several important players this season for this match (before and during the game) affected our display but we still struggled badly at times and if it wasn't for some dreadful finishing from Samaras and McGeady, we wouldn't have taken such a vital point.

Onto the refereeing decisions from the Mason (well Celtic supporter Steve Conroy) in the black and obviously they had an important factor on the outcome of the match. Firstly the disallowed goal - well at first I thought it was a legitimate goal as McGregor was rather flat footed while Fortune rose well to head home. However, replays clearly showed the striker's arm/elbow impede McGregor's arm which is a foul - even if perhaps a soft one. Strange how those desperate to cry out about the use of Miller's arm RE: Darren Dods are so eager to miss this incident though.

Secondly, the challenge from Lafferty on Hinkel which I thought was very late and dangerous considering it was high and had studs showing. I wouldn't have complained if a straight red was shown but considering players like Loovens and McDonald have got off with similar in recent times, I'm surprised Celtic fans are now going on about incompetent officials given they were defended by the same people last season. Add in the challenges which went unpunished from the crucial back to back OF games in 2008, then perhaps (as usual) officials should be questioned as a whole as opposed to inferences about conspiracies - not to mention player character?

More importantly, I was concerned about our inability to do the basics right again on Sunday. After an incredible display of form in December (lucky according to some), with several players doing very well (not just those missing from the Celtic match) it was disappointing to see us revert back to our early season form in this game. Poor passing; reactive instead of anticipative; weak in the tackle; sitting too deep; and awful control throughout the team. However, in a positive sense our set-pieces were dangerous throughout the match and it was no surprise to me that we did finally score from one ala Lyon. Guys like Weir and Wilson also did quite well throughout the game while I felt Lafferty and Edu improved after the break for reasonable periods in the match.

Overall, it was no surprise that we struggled given the enforced pre-match changes to a winning team. The loss of Novo's pace early in the game also affected our ability to support the attack and having to move Davis out wide removed some of his creative threat while Edu's obvious lack of match sharpness and McCulloch's lack of pace meant we sat too deep to compensate. Fortunately, in this case the result is definitely more important than the performance.

To be 4 (sic) points clear after such a difficult month (away matches to Hibs, Utd and Celtic) and two home matches (again versus Utd and a tough 'Well outfit) is a great way to start the New Year and decade. Only the churlish would ignore such impressive form given the goals scored and defensive strength also. One poor game away to Celtic (who did play very well actually) can be shrugged off if we address the issues from it suitably.

Like everyone else I've no idea if we can keep our squad intact over January but I think the recent involvement of squad players such as Beasley, Broadfoot, Wilson and Novo means we can cope with the loss of most players. Of course if a Boyd or Davis were to be moved on, they'd be a little more difficult to replace - even if the latter's form has been patchy during his stay at the club. Thankfully I doubt either will leave (for now at least). Meanwhile, the imminent return of Beasley, Thomson and Mendes shows those mischief-makers questioning our inability to bring in players we have enough strength in depth to remain competitive in the SPL. It's not as if Celtic's work in the transfer market is anything to be afraid of!

As always, it is what we do that matters. December has shown we have a decent team capable of winning any game - even if we get people sent off and suffer from poor officials. If we can continue that kind of form, then we can be confident of a 53rd SPL title. Anything less and we'll allow Celtic to come back into it which means the final two Old Firm league games will be as important and as hotly contested as usual in February and May!

I can't wait! :cool:

Happy New Year Gersnet.

Sunday proved to me that S Davis is an out and out central midfielder,when he moved out right we lost his creatiivity and it was only when he was back in cm that we started to create anything IMO.:spl::spl: