Kyle Lafferty feared he would have to quit Rangers before finding his scoring touch last season.

More...

Northern Ireland international Kyle Lafferty feared he would have to quit the club before finding his scoring touch last season.

The former Burnley hit-man scored just two goals in 32 appearances for the club in all competitions last term before ending on a high note.

In his final seven games of the campaign he hit the back of the net five times, including winners against Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs as Gers retained their SPL title.

Lafferty always had faith in his ability, but feared his woeful strike rate in front of goal meant he would be forced to look elsewhere in order to further his career.

However, following Kris Boyd's summer exit to Middlesbrough, Lafferty is likely to be given a great role next time and he is pleased he is finally showing the club's fans his true form.

Thoughts

"It did go through my mind I was going to have to leave Rangers to get my career going again," he told the Daily Record.

"I've never been frightened of hard work but I just thought it wasn't going to work out for me here.

"Thankfully my team-mates and the coaching staff were brilliant. At my lowest point they gave me encouragement and made sure I believed in my own ability.

"I ended last season in the sort of form I've wanted to show for the two years I've been in Glasgow."

Edited by Frankie