France striker Thierry Henry has signed for Major League Soccer side New York Red Bulls from Barcelona on a "multi-year contract".

The former Arsenal captain, 32, is expected to make his debut for Red Bulls in a friendly against Tottenham in the United States on 22 July.

Henry signed for Barcelona in 2007 and had one year remaining on his contract but the club agreed to let him leave.

Henry said: "This marks an exciting new chapter in my career and life."

After falling out of favour at Barcelona last season and enduring a torrid World Cup, where France failed to progress past the group stages, Henry is excited about the prospect of a new challenge in the United States.

"It is an honour to play for the New York Red Bulls," he stated.

"I am fully aware of the team's history and my sole goal during my time here is to help win the club its first championship.

"Knowing Red Bull's significant commitment to soccer locally and internationally, I am confident that my team-mates and I will succeed."

The Frenchman is Arsenal's all-time record goalscorer, with 226 goals in 370 games between 1999-2007, a period where the club won the Premier League twice and the FA Cup three times.

In June 2007 Henry moved to Barcelona in a �£16.1m deal and his success continued at the Nou Camp.

Henry scored 49 goals over the course of his three years in Spain, where he twice won La Liga and picked up a Champions League winner's medal and also won the Uefa Super Cup and the Fifa Club World Cup.

In a distinguished international career, Henry scored 51 goals in 123 appearances for France, winning the World Cup in 1998 and the European Championship in 2000.

And Henry's impressive career trophy haul is something Dietmar Beiersdorfer, head of Red Bull global soccer, is eager to add to.

"It is without question that Thierry Henry is one of the most successful and recognisable soccer players over the past 15 years," said Beiersdorfer.

"We are thrilled that Thierry has decided to come to New York to help the Red Bulls compete for championships this year and for years to come. His international pedigree is second to none and he is a proven winner."

Debut against Spurs! Should be interesting!

Wenger doesnt half know when to sell a player though does he! Henry started ok at barca but has been average since!

Henry could still do a job in any top league in Europe so its a surprising move but he must fancy the nice pension. Plus he wouldnt want to play for any other club in England other than Arsenal.

Certainly in the top 10 of all time Premiership players but its probably the end we will see of one of Europes best. Terrific player and good luck to him in the US.