Exclusive by Lindsay Herron

GORDON SMITH has revealed he can't wait to start working with new Rangers boss Ally McCoist after becoming Director of Football at the weekend.

The 1977/78 Treble-winning star is thrilled to be back at his first love and he hopes his experience from all aspects of football can be of huge benefit to McCoist who is seeking to bolster his squad ahead of his inaugural campaign.

Smith has been joined on the Rangers board by Ali Russell who is the new Chief Operating Officer and will be responsible for the business side of the club.

As well as his playing career, Smith has great grounding in coaching, worked in Europe, negotiated contracts as an agent for top players, has vast experience of the media and, of course, was chief executive of the SFA.

Smith will be in charge of all aspects of the football side of Murray Park but he inists the first team is McCoist's domain and he will work with him.

He said: "I have known Ally for years although we have never worked together before.

"Funnily enough we first came across each other when I was at Brighton and he was at Sunderland. We played a match down at Brighton and we both scored that day and we went on to win 2-1.

"I have always had a lot of time for him and we have had great fun before when we have met socially.

"It will great to work with him. It's a new job for him and it's also a new job for me.

"I have a lot of experiences that I can bring in from being a player, being in business inside and outside of football and hopefully I can help Ally in many ways.

"He will be telling me what he needs. I am quite happy to offer my opinion if he wants it. I have been a pundit and an analyst for quite some time watching systems of play and the strengths of players.

"I didn't offer my opinion on these matters when I was with the SFA because I felt it wasn't within my role as chief executive to do that.

"I did once and that was when George Burley chose not to pick Davie Weir for the match in Norway and I said I didn't agree with him.

"I felt we needed someone of Davie's experience for a game like that. We lost 4-0 and Davie was brought back in for the next squad.

"So I don't intend to interfere with Ally either. He has to stand or fall by his decisions but if he seeks my opinion then I will happily give him it."

Guest Dutchy

It doesn't matter what he says now, it's how it will work in the season ahead.

I for one believe that it will be a good set up. Why wouldn't any manager like help and advice of someone like Smith?

"I didn't offer my opinion on these matters when I was with the SFA because I felt it wasn't within my role as chief executive to do that.

"I did once and that was when George Burley chose not to pick Davie Weir for the match in Norway and I said I didn't agree with him.

"I felt we needed someone of Davie's experience for a game like that. We lost 4-0 and Davie was brought back in for the next squad.

Loved that bit!