McCabe Extends Ibrox Stay

YOUNG midfielder commits himself to Gers until summer of 2015

More...

0,,5%7E10301202,00.jpg

By Andrew Dickson

RHYS McCABE has put pen to paper on a contract extension which will keep him at the club until the end of the 2014/15 season.

The 19-year-old made his first-team debut in the 2-0 friendly win over Blackpool at Bloomfield Road back in July.

And after making a real impression on manager Ally McCoist, he has also featured against the likes of Liverpool and Hamburg and been on the bench for a number of SPL games.

McCabe is someone the management rate highly and despite his size, he makes up for it with many of the attributes shown over the last couple of seasons by Steven Naismith.

And having made a real impact over the last few months having played for the under-19s last term, he is now set to stay at Ibrox and Murray Park for the next three and a half years.

Edited by Zappa

I've always thought like many on here that youth is the only way forward for Rangers, now at last the club is obviously thinking along those lines too.

I think it's finally sunk in that letting cracking young players leave on a free is bad for business, especially when other Scottish clubs are managing to sell the odd talented youngster for serious money.

I think it's finally sunk in that letting cracking young players leave on a free is bad for business, especially when other Scottish clubs are managing to sell the odd talented youngster for serious money.

.....yes I know, we used to buy those talented youngsters from the other Scottish clubs, now they're going to the BBC funded English 2nd teir.

Personally I think the club has always wanted to bring through youth players but the fact is the economical health of the club and the footballing level and disciplinary attitude of the player will dictate whether he gets a contract or not. Luck also plays a role to a certain extent as if Barry Ferguson wasn't given his undeserved kings role then just possibly Charlie Adam could have been shining for us in the middle of midfield instead of being asked to run the wing.

Personally I think the club has always wanted to bring through youth players but the fact is the economical health of the club and the footballing level and disciplinary attitude of the player will dictate whether he gets a contract or not. Luck also plays a role to a certain extent as if Barry Ferguson wasn't given his undeserved kings role then just possibly Charlie Adam could have been shining for us in the middle of midfield instead of being asked to run the wing.

Exactly, Fergie pushed himself into that role, the powers at 'Gers let him (good player btw) but maybe with hindsight others should have been considered but in those days it wasn't important. At the end of the day Rangers were very successful during Barry's time so you could say good decisions, If Adam had been given his rightful place in the team in centre midfield it could have went either way, we'll never know.

Dun Utd used these long contracts a lot, because they knew they were a selling club. With all the money, even in the Championship, down south these days, Rangers are obviously using the same technique. Whatever the rational, I hope we get a couple of years out of each and everyone of our youngsters before selling them for a decent return.

7 figures, as opposed to 6 would be ideal.