Keevins-Bomber Brown nails his colours to the mast

I VIVIDLY remember the night true blue John Brown refused to eat his pudding because it was green and white.

We were at the St Andrews Sporting Club for a night of wine-and-dine boxing and dinner had reached the dessert course.

That's normally the point in the evening by which the red wine has kicked in and conviviality is at its height, but the menu got in the way on this occasion.

The jelly served up turned out to be lime in flavour and the ice cream was of the vanilla variety.

The colour co-ordination was indigestible for Bomber and he pushed his plate to one side with the kind of authority he used to exert over opposing attackers when he was wearing a Rangers jersey.

It was a sign, of sorts, of devotion to the cause I suppose.

It also displayed the kind of Rangers man of the people credentials that drew hundreds

to hear Brown speak at Ibrox on Wednesday at the start of his proposed takeover bid for the club.

But enough is enough.

Rangers require tens of millions of pounds to extricate themselves from the mess they're in.

Protesters refusing to buy pies at matches to deny Charles Green money, as per Bomber's instruction, won't register with the International Monetary Fund.

Bomber's rhetoric appeals to his audience but it isn't helping anybody move forward.

This week it's time for the game's movers and shakers to get real and do what's best for the future, even if it's through gritted teeth and with their eyes closed while absorbing the pain.

Football's first commandment is, was and always will be look after number one, and that's what the SFA, the SPL and the SFL will do when they hold their various

meetings over the next few days.

I know it's a conspiracy. You know it's a conspiracy and they know it's a conspiracy.

But it's conspire or expire when it comes to parachuting Rangers into the First Division and seeing if the game can recover from the damage that's already been done.

And the collateral damage isn't confined to the chaos on the park. Turnbull Hutton's emails would have been good reading over the last few days - I don't think.

The Raith director was a private citizen and doubtless a pillar of the local community until he spoke out and opposed Rangers avoiding a new start in Division Three.

He stated his club could hardly be sympathetic towards an Ibrox support whose extremist element had threatened to torch Stark's Park.

The arsonists had assembled after another Rovers board member, Eric Drysdale, had received death threats following his appearance on the independent panel that imposed a 12-month transfer ban on Rangers.

Is this really what we've become? Pyromaniacs and dangerous threats to the personal safety of others?

The likelihood is our game has already been permanently damaged by the fall-out from

Rangers' journey through administration into liquidation.

Boycotts and bad feeling will follow us for years to come, but there's a game to be saved in the meantime. Or what's left of one.

Rangers going into the Third Division might be best for all concerned because it would mean a three-year cooling off period and that could dampen the enthusiasm for public order offences.

But it'll be a warm day in Minsk before it's a good idea for the wellbeing of the game as a whole.

Falkirk boss Steven Pressley is correct when he says the compromise arrangements

being made are designed purely to accommodate Rangers.

But if that's what saves financial hardship on an industrial scale from taking place then that's what will happen over the coming days.

The game has no moral compass. There is no moral high ground for anyone to occupy.

We're now in a state caused by one club's financial irregularities and the way out of it is to make the rules up as we go along.

And if Rangers are relegated for the first time, suffer banishment from Europe for three years and have to build a team from scratch following the mass defection of their best players, does that not beg one question.

Have we approached the stage where the club has received punishment on an appropriate scale for the nature of the offences that took place inside Ibrox?

Or, as Bomber might say, have they had their just desserts?

http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/hughkeevins/2012/07/bomber-brown-nails-his-colours-to-the-mast.html#more

Pressley did an about turn on Friday!

Friday 29 June 2012

Text size

Elvis: Clubs will go bust without Rangers

By MATTHEW LINDSAY

STEVEN Pressley today warned the anger over the Rangers crisis could result in more clubs going bust.

SPL clubs are set to unanimously reject the Ibrox club's application to join the top division at a vote at Hampden on Wednesday.

And now it looks as if their SFL counterparts are set to follow their lead and scupper the newco's hopes of dropping into the Irn-Bru First Division.Cowdenbeath – the Fife minnows chaired by former Gers director Donald Findlay QC – are the only club to have given the thumbs up to the Glasgow club joining them.

Falkirk, Morton and Partick Thistle have all publicly said they will reject the move while rivals are consulting with supporters before declaring their intentions.

Fans of SPL and SFL clubs have threatened to boycott both their own clubs and opposition clubs if they vote to let Rangers into the top flight or Irn-Bru First Division.

They want to see the newly formed club start at the bottom in the Third Division and try to work their way up.

But Bairns boss Pressley has issued a call for calm and expressed the fear that hammering his former club Rangers will lead to other clubs going into administration and liquidation.

He said: "There is a lot of anger about what has happened at the moment and I think that could be clouding people's judgement. We need to have clear thinking at this point.

"Many clubs will suffer financially without Rangers involved and that should not be underestimate in all this. Other clubs could realistically go to the wall and that is not something that I or anybody else wants to see.

"I can see why people want the club to be punished, but, personally, I think we should try to reach some sort of compromise.

"And I don't just want to see one that will only benefit Rangers and the big clubs in the country. The solution to this problem has to benefit the game in this country as a whole."

"Many clubs will suffer financially without Rangers involved and that should not be underestimate in all this. Other clubs could realistically go to the wall and that is not something that I or anybody else wants to see

Right you are elvis,I am looking forward to the day clubs start to fall,they only have themselves to blame for the short sighted,hateful and bigoted way they have treated us.

Let them reap what they sow