Alternative view of Regan

In connection with another thread about Regan and whether he is so dreadfully to blame for everything in the whole wide world ever, thought I'd put up this post from a Yorkshire cricket forum. Despite vague suggestions that Regan was chased out by an angry mob wielding Eccles cakes, he seems to be fairly well remembered down there; this post, by someone called Triple Centurian, may be dodgy of facts (opening para especially) but gives an excellent flavour of how the game up here is regarded.

"its the usual story that somethign negative that grabs the headlines overshadows all the good stuff you do elsewhere. He sorted out the referees crisis, has had to deal with petty rivalries between Lennon and McCoist, put in a simpler structure that was welcomed by all and seemed to be doing well at the grassroots level which will provide longer term benefits.

I fail to see how rangers going to div 3 is going to do any one any favours at all, the one club who may benefit is actually rangers newco themselves. Why would you join Celtic now? Whose away fans are going to subsidise the minor SPL teams? How many clubs up there will now go into administration?

It was like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas but in this case the Scottish clubs are the turkeys who won't survive to the new year. Yes relegate Rangers one division, yes put a transfer ban on them, yes deduct them 10 points for next season, yes make sure their new ownership is more professional.

i would like to think if the same thing happened down here in cricket, then the other counties would be a bit more supportive to the county who had gone into administration. The game itself is what needs preserving and rightly or wrongly a Scottish league without Rangers is about on a par with the Faroe Islands league. It may not appear "fair" but it will do in the long run and sadly thats a result of centuries of allowing Scottish football to end up where it is and to just undo that based on one rash decision will be catastrophic for all clubs. So be it - what do I care for Scottish football."

He cared emough to write about it. I'm not sure about Regan, I'm certain he is following someone else's agenda. The leaked email confirmed that he is an administrator and to be honest a fairly competent one but he is not a leader!

He created the referee crisis and allowed the "petty" rivalry between Ally and Pillow Teeth to arise because of not dealing with that sad fucker's sorry behavior.

There is no alternate view of Regan, unless you can somehow prove he is in fact more incompetent than he already is.

Guest Dutchy

Don't you think Andy that you sometimes over egg the cake by using statements like, "so dreadfully to blame for everything in the whole, wide world ever"?

I don't think he is to blame for everything in the world, just the things he's been up to since coming into Scottish football, and I'm not the slightest bit interested in what Yorkshire cricket supporter think of him, and Scottish football.

I assume you're taking this tack as you feel us Rangers fans could appear bitter at the hounding of just one guy, but he's the figurehead, and by asking questions of his antics, we can get to the others that may have helped in our OTT punishments.

Nah, I went on a YCCC forum to ask how they viewed their former CEO since we can become blinkered in the goldfish bowl here, I can certainly. He seems to have a mixed to good reputation for the job he did there, which I find interesting since there's no axe to grind.

But the whole point is to shift attention away from Regan, who I think is on his way off somewhere else, onto those people who have been at it but remain - especially today, Petrie of Hibs, who I reckon stands accused of some pretty shoddy dealings, saying one thing in public and striking secret deals in another. If we cut down the figurehead - and I think he's only going to fall because of other clubs distrust, not ours - but leave the mechanism in place for the same thing to happen again...well, I don't see how that's moving forward.

Guest Dutchy

I suppose it's just a diffirence in were you attack first, but I hope you agree that the SFA have done a terrible job in the last few years.

To me, it coincides with his appointment. That may appear petty, but what have we had to deal with since admin is not much to do with high justice, no matter how much moralising goes on about integrity.