Boca - Special Memories

6be0526a455e1f89d6e59c9c6f787ce8_S.jpg

CARLOS BOCANEGRA has revealed an unlikely highlight from his time at Rangers - eating steak pies in the away dressing room at Gayfield Park!

The American international left the Light Blues last Friday to embark on a year-long loan with Spanish Segunda Division outfit Racing Santander.

Before he left, he took time to look back over his 12 months in Glasgow with RangersTV.tv and you can see an in-depth interview with him on Blues News tonight.

The trip to take on Arbroath in the Scottish Cup last January was notable for Bocanegra as it marked the first time he had skippered Gers in a competitive match.

And after the Ibrox side had cruised to a 4-0 victory on the shore of the North Sea, it was a moment he really savoured.

Bocanegra said: â??We had a couple of Old Firm victories last season which really stand out and the first one was definitely huge.

â??It was an awesome atmosphere and it was one of the best environments Iâ??ve ever played football in.

â??But being able to captain the team at Arbroath â?? and the steak pies afterwards â?? was something that sticks out too.

â??In fact, I still owe a kid up there a shirt actually and I need to send him one. It was a pretty cool day.

â??The big victories obviously stick out but just coming in here and the banter in the locker room was great. It was such a fun place to be a part of.

â??Those are the memories Iâ??ll take away. The fact everyone was so friendly and they wanted to make me feel welcome was great.

â??So was the support from the fans. I didnâ??t realise the magnitude of that and everybody knew who I was and they wanted to know what going on.

â??That was magnified again this season with me being club captain. Itâ??s something I had never experienced before and I wonâ??t forget that.â?

In total, Bocanegra was club captain at Rangers for just seven games although he did stand in for 2011/12 skipper Steven Davis for four matches last season as well.

While his tenure as team leader was short, it was a responsibility the 33-year-old was thrilled to have bestowed upon him despite being in a lower league now.

Bocanegra added: â??Every time I put the armband on here, I wasnâ??t thinking about whether we were in the SPL or the Third Division.

â??It was just an honour each time to represent Rangers and the jersey and for our first home league game this season, we had one of the biggest crowds in Britain.

â??Thatâ??s unheard of at the level the club is at just now but it never felt like we were in a lower league.

â??Our travel and preparations were still first class and we still went about things in the same way.

â??The away grounds were a little bit different but we saw great support from our fans, who travelled and filled them up to create a good atmosphere.

â??Being captain of a club of this stature, with the amount of history it has and everything that has gone on here, was really special.

â??Unfortunately it came to an abrupt stop but I donâ??t have any regrets. It was a huge honour for me to wear the armband and the lead the team out of the tunnel.â?

SEE CARLOS BOCANEGRA ON BLUES NEWS TONIGHT! CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR RangersTV.tv NOW.

Funny how there were hardly any long balls from the defence on Sunday without him.

Alexander took over Boca's role of punting it up the park pete. Did you not notice that a lot of the time he got the ball he was waving his arms signalling for our players to get forward so he could kick it long?

Alexander took over Boca's role of punting it up the park pete. Did you not notice that a lot of the time he got the ball he was waving his arms signalling for our players to get forward so he could kick it long?

Not totally the same if the keeper does it as the whole team can push up. If the defence do it then it enlarges the distance between attack and defence making it impossible for the midfield to cover the distance. You are right though I would prefer we built from the back and the keeper kept the ball short.