McCoist: Boydy and Kenny will help us to clinch title

THEY netted nearly 160 goals for Rangers and have over 80 Scotland caps between them.

As Gers battle it out in the Third Division, the sight of Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller combining to gun down SPL opposition is a distant memory at Ibrox.

But gaffer Ally McCoist has revealed how both stars have been playing key roles in helping his side regroup and go again.

SPL record scorer Boyd is at MLS side Portland Timbers, while Miller is with rivals Vancouver Whitecaps.

But McCoist has allowed both to train with his squad at Murray Park during their off-season.

McCoist said: â??It has been great to see them and it has added some hilarity to training. It is an important part of Rangers â?? boys being able to come back and train and join in.

â??Can it help the young lads? Of course it can, absolutely.

â??Kenny and Boydy are not the type of guys who are going to come into training to mess about.

â??They come in to train. Their attitude is very good and they are a pleasure to have about the place.â?

Young Gers stopper Ross Perry admits the pair have certainly kept him on their toes. Perry, 22, said: â??Kris and Kenny have been in for a few weeks and it is good to be up against them.

â??They have played here before so they are friends as well and it is good to have them around.

â??Boydy is a character so he brings that to training as well. You hear him before you see him!â?

One player unlikely to be at Ibrox this month is Ryan McGowan. He had talks with Gers last August on deadline day, but opted to stay at Hearts instead.

He was a target for McCoist this month, but is set for a switch to China and Shandong Luneng.

McCoist added: â??I donâ??t know the exact ins and outs of his contract, but Ryan is a player we would liked to have brought here and he would have been good for us.â?

McCoist has other targets ahead of their embargo ending on September 1 and said: â??We have been encouraged by the interest shown from one or two players we have been monitoring. The great thing is with Rangers, the support, stadium and training ground â?? this is still a big pull for some players.

â??It would be great to get things done by the end of January, but I can understand it is not ideal for players too. We have more obstacles in our way than most clubs.â?

Gers take on Elgin today and they are on course to beat a 49-year-old record if they secure the title before March 16.

McCoist â?? his side on an 11-game winning streak â?? added: â??Iâ??m hoping one of the big factors in keeping going will be the eagerness and enthusiasm of the youngsters and the example shown by the older boys.

â??It is important a lot of the boys have come through with us, ten of the 16 last weekend came through Murray Park one way or another.

â??Managers have probably moaned in the past about wanting an opportunity to bring kids in.

â??I would not say we are looking for an opportunity to rest ours, but itâ??s maybe gone that way a bit now. Iâ??m delighted they are now reacting to the league and handling the situation well.

â??I know we can play a lot better than we have in the last few games, but it would be wrong to criticise when they are doing the most important thing, which is winning.

â??It would be disrespectful to the opposition in the league to try to tell people we are trying to set a record.

â??We are just trying to win the league.

â??If and when we are lucky enough to do that I will be delighted. I will never use the record as an incentive.â?

McCoist might not be able to sign players now, but what he has seen from his kids on the pitch has already influenced his thinking when he can buy in the future.

He said: â??If we can continue to keep the nucleus of youngsters we have, for them at the age of 20 or 21 to have had 80-odd games would be fantastic. It would benefit the kids and Rangers.

â??It would be totally wrong of me to spend and bring in players that would be to the detriment of the youngsters.

â??You have to get the balance right and it has to be to the benefit of Rangers and the team, that is an absolute must.

â??At the same time, you have to be very careful to help the youngsters as well so they can continue to blossom.

â??Thereâ??s a balance, especially at a club like this. In an ideal world, you want to give youth a chance.

â??But this is a club where you want to win games. If I bring in kids and they donâ??t win games, Iâ??m out.

â??Managers and coaches will argue the importance of winning is as high wherever you are.

â??But you could possibly get away with it at a lower level.

â??I have been delighted with the response we have got from the youngsters who have come in.â?

From the Sun. Some promising comments from the manager regarding our future direction particularly in terms of player recruitment.