Beyond the reach of the Law

Doncaster rued his bad luck. “Why didn't Regan draw the short straw?” he asked himself. But this was no time for “what ifs?”; he had drawn the short straw and now had to deliver the poison chalice to the master.

Gingerly, he long pressed the 2 on his phone keypad and watched in fear as the phone speed dial responded with the fateful name.

The two words flashed on the phone screen heightening Doncaster's sense of foreboding. Peter Lawwell.

“What is it Neil” a voice rasped from the other end.

“I'm sorry Peter but it's happened again”

“What has ?”

“A game has had to be abandoned for safety reasons due to the demand to see the Rangers”

Doncaster could hear the sigh of exasperation on the other end of the phone.

“Get Spiers or someone to put out a story saying it was fire fears due to the recent spate of flare throwing”

“I'm sorry Peter the story has gone out already”

“Who authorised it without my approval ? You know everything has to come through me”

“I'm, I'm sorry Peter it was out with my control”

“How many times have I told you Neil – NOTHING BUT NOTHING IS OUT WITH MY CONTROL !!!!”

Click.

I beg to differ Peter. We are out with you're control. You cannot control either our passion or determination to follow our team. At Elgin it was an overrun of printed tickets, today at Stenhousemuir it was damage to a temporary stand built to house the travelling blue legions.

How much that must hurt our top league as they struggle to fill their stadiums. As they struggle to sell tickets. As they struggle to pay bills. “So as you sow – so shall ye reap”

Of course, as was reported last week, a benevolent bank may come along and agree to write off all the accumulating debts. But I expect the Kilmarnock situation to be the exception to the rule rather than the norm. I wonder if Gordon Waddell will pen a column stating how much he would like to punch them in the face till his hand hurts, or if Spiers will “happily and reasonably accurately” accuse them of cheating ?

Oh and I cant wait to read the Scotzine article on this. Mr Muirhead will be frothing at the mouth over this one. Well, that is if he is to remain consistent in his thoughts on debt and cheating at football clubs.

But, as the legend which is Rangers powers through the current division as a consequence of our enforced exile, perhaps those top league chairmen better hold off potential projected financial prospectus in lieu of our return, to appease increasingly demanding bank managers.

For there is no guarantee our eventual return to the top flight will see any change in attitude towards filling the coffers of those who caused our club so much damage and heartache. Who collectively conspired and contrived to do us maximum harm.

Forgive, forget and move on ? I don't think so. We remember how hard you kicked us whilst we were down.

I wonder how long it will be before the “financial sell” statements appear from the guilty ? ie “It's good to see Rangers back where they belong” “We cant wait to renew our battles with Rangers”

I can guarantee one bear who wont be buying your bullshit.

And you can take that to the bank.