Duns player recalls 9-0 cup defeat at Ibrox

521069644.jpgJimmy Millar (centre) leaves Wilson helpless as he scores the 8th for Rangers

• by Martin Inglis

Fifty years ago, on Saturday, January 25, 1964, Duns FC travelled to Ibrox to face one of the most successful and formidable Rangers sides of all time in the second round of the Scottish Cup.

The Dingers were defeated 9-0 on the day as Rangers - who had already won the League Cup - secured a famous treble that season by also winning the League and Scottish Cup, beating Dundee at Hampden Park in front of more than 120,000 fans.

But for Duns, there were still 17,350 fans at Ibrox that day and it’s a match that will live long in the memory of Adam Fairbairn, 75, who played centre-back.

He said: “It was a brilliant day. My best day in football and one of the best days of my life.

“There was an absolutely great atmosphere heading out onto the Ibrox pitch - which was as wide as the Duns pitch was long - and I can remember the Rangers fans even willing us on to try and score a goal during the game.”

Playing at the heart of the Duns defence, Fairbairn had the unenviable task of trying to contain prolific goalscorers Jimmy Millar and Ralph Brand, who between them scored 368 goals in 634 games for the Gers and seven in this particular outing against Duns.

But despite the scoreline, Fairbairn says that the Dingers had their chances in the match. He said: “We played quite well. We hit the post a couple of times and certainly didn’t deserve to be beaten by as many as we did.

“In the end it came down to fitness and I remember we conceded a few in the last 10-15 minutes or so.

“We weren’t a bad side at the time and had a lot of ex-professionals who had been at some of the bigger Scottish clubs.”

Fairbairn was also very complimentary of the Rangers players and everyone at Ibrox to ensure that the East of Scotland side enjoyed some great hospitality with lasting memories.

“The Rangers team were brilliant. They came into our dressing room before the game and spoke to us all for a while.

“We were also given a tour of the stadium which was fantastic and it’s certainly a day that will live long in my memory.”

http://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/sport/football/east-of-scotland/duns-player-recalls-9-0-cup-defeat-at-ibrox-1-3278162