Kilmarnock chairman Michael Johnston insists he won't sell the club to fans

KILMARNOCK chief Johnston rejected a shares deal offered by the Killie Community Working Party, but he promised to stand down as chairman if it would appease those who were unhappy with his running of the club.

MICHAEL JOHNSTON last night insisted he won’t sell Kilmarnock to the fans for personal profit.

But he promised to stand down as chairman if it would appease punters unhappy with his running of the club.

Johnston made that vow as he outlined new plans for Killie that include:

* Two new investors each putting a six-figure sum into the Rugby Park outfit.

* The formation of the Kilmarnock Community Engagement board, co-opting local politicians to help with the running of the club.

* A restructuring of the debt by splitting the football operation and the hotel adjacent to Rugby Park into two separate companies.

Johnston was last week asked to name his price for his shares by the Killie Community Working Party, backed by Supporters Direct Scotland.

That move followed the collapse of interest in taking over Kilmarnock shown by a consortium of local businessmen.

Last night Johnston broke his silence on both issues and told Record Sport about his vision of the future.

He said: “What I’m after is new investment and there are two six-figure investors lined up.

“I’m not looking to sell shares for personal profit. I want fresh capital for the club in the midst of a restructuring plan.

“I’m looking for people who want to help Killie by buying new shares that would merit them taking a seat on the board.

“The way forward is not going to be achieved simply by me selling my shares.”

Johnston also has no interest in any scheme to buy the club over once he has got rid of its historical debt, which is understood to be £9million.

He said: “That would seem like an unusual proposition to me. I’ve put in 11 years of hard work at Rugby Park, eight of them as chairman, but I’m constantly surprised by some of the novel schemes that are suggested.

“However, I’m open to the idea of the club having a new chairman if there are people on the new board who are unhappy and want me removed.”

In the meantime, Johnston has promised there’s no danger of Killie going into administration.

He said: “We’re looking at the football club and hotel being split into separate companies. But there’s no danger of any insolvency event for either.

“Good things are happening at Killie and positive news will be announced over the coming weeks. A new board containing local politicians and businessmen has long been an idea of mine and a pathway has been mapped out concerning debt restructuring.

“There are other, confidential plans I can’t go into at the moment. But instead of groups putting money in a war chest with the idea of gaining a

controlling interest, they would be better off putting it towards Killie’s working capital for the future.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kilmarnock-chairman-michael-johnston-insists-3139956