Walsh: I Can't Wait For New Season

Sunday, 28 June 2015 10:00

Walsh: I Can't Wait For New Season

Written by Nick Thomson

23ccc50b42e2527f4169e24c410d4363_XL.jpg

PRE-SEASON may have only begun at Murray Park for the Rangers first-team yesterday, but Tom Walsh has admitted he is already itching for the competitive action to get under way.

The young midfielder featured numerous times towards the end of last season as Rangers narrowly missed out on promotion to the Premiership, and he will be hoping to play his part in the first real game of the season in the first round of the Petrofac Training Cup on July 25.

Speaking to RangersTV.tv, Walsh said: “Now we’re back involved, I can’t wait. It’s a while away, and there will be a lot of hard work in between, but we’re looking forward to it.

“Come then we’ll be confident whoever we play. We’ll have a set team and a way we want to play by that point, so we’ll be ready for it.”

Walsh and his teammates, which included new signings Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan, are being put through their paces by the club’s fitness and medical staff at Murray Park, and contrary to the standard tales of footballers loathing pre-season, the 18 year-old revealed to us that he’s actually glad to be back to work again.

He continued: “It was hard going as you can imagine. The first day back for pre-season is never easy.

“But it was good and I’m glad to get back into the swing of things.”

Yesterday was, of course, the first time the players had met new manager Mark Warburton and assistant David Weir, and Walsh was immediately impressed with their approach, although he knows he and the other players have a job on their hands to convince the duo that they are worthy of a place in the starting XI.

Walsh explained: “The gaffer has set high standards throughout the club. He’s told us how he wants the environment to be around the club and also the way we’re going to play, so that was really encouraging.

“You can only look up to someone like David who had such a long career and played at the highest level.

“We’re all fighting tooth and nail to get in the team – especially with the new manager being here, so we’ve got to go into training, work hard, and when the games come, we’ve got to try and impress.

“It was disappointing not to go up last year, but for myself, it was good to get games.

“Now it’s time to step up to the next level and really show what I can do.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9536-walsh-i-cant-wait-for-new-season