Celtic defender Paul Telfer has left the Glasgow club to return to England for family reasons.

The 35-year-old full-back, who is in his second season at Celtic, had intended to return to his family home in Winchester in the summer.

But on Monday his contract was cancelled by mutual consent and the club thanked Telfer for his services.

It is unclear whether Telfer will quit the game completely when he returns south of the border.

Telfer signed for Celtic from Southampton in July 2005 and made his first appearance for the club in a Champions League qualifier when Gordon Strachan's side lost 5-0 to Artmedia Bratislava in Slovakia.

Despite a slow start to his career in Glasgow, Telfer managed to hold down a regular slot in Strachan's starting 11, picking up a League Cup winner's medal and a league winner's medal last season.

Telfer revealed in December that his family had failed to settle in Glasgow and preferred to stay in England.

At the time, he said: "I will leave because it's not ideal being away from my family and I went a month without seeing my son.

"He has just started school so doesn't really appreciate what his dad has up in Scotland.

"He's more interested in Scooby Doo than football.

"If I stop playing, I'm not sure what I'll do - but not coaching."

A Celtic spokesperson said: "It is with great regret that Celtic FC have announced today that Paul Telfer has ended his contract with Celtic for family reasons.

"He has now decided to return to England to be with his family. Celtic have reluctantly accepted Paul's decision and we fully respect his request to end his contract with the club.

"Clearly, everyone at the club wishes Paul and his family all the very best for the future."

Telfer made a total of 73 appearances for the club, scoring one goal.

Celtic fans never really toke to him and will be glad to see the back of him