Ally Can Make You A Legend

DAVID BECKHAM insists you need the right kind of friends and mentors if you�re going to make it big.

So the England legend believes John Fleck is set for stardom � because he�s got the right Ally.

Rangers� glamour friendly against the maestros of Milan was billed as Becks versus Fleck.

The 17-year-old Gers superkid went toe to toe with Beckham in an enthralling first-half at Ibrox.

And just as Sir Alex Ferguson perfectly prepared Becks for the big time, the new Milan star reckons Ally McCoist can shape Fleck�s career.

Beckham said: ââ?¬Å?John is a good player and itââ?¬â?¢s great for any youngster to have the chance to play for such a big club as Rangers.

ââ?¬Å?Ally McCoist, for me, is one of the best goalscorers there has ever been in the British game.

ââ?¬Å?For John to have a mentor like Ally can only be good for his career development at Rangers.

ââ?¬Å?Ally is such a down-to-earth person that he will make sure John gets the right upbringing.

ââ?¬Å?I was at Manchester United as a teenager under Sir Alex Ferguson, one of the best ââ?¬â? if not THE best ââ?¬â? managers of all time.

ââ?¬Å?I was fortunate to have a great upbringing with him at United. It couldnââ?¬â?¢t have been any better.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢m sure John will get that kind of upbringing at Rangers and it will stand him in good stead.ââ?¬Â

Fleck has been burdened with enormous expectations before he can even vote or have a drink.

Even Beckham can�t truly relate to the pressures being placed upon the teenager.

Becks was 20 before Sir Alex unleashed him on the Premiership in a 3-1 defeat at Aston Villa in 1995.

True, the midfielder scored United�s goal and was starring at a World Cup Finals less than three years later.

But he reckons Fleck, who might have scored during his 45-minute appearance, is also set for stardom.

Beckham added: ââ?¬Å?I am sure he is just enjoying the experience of playing with the senior players at Ibrox.

ââ?¬Å?Rangers is one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

ââ?¬Å?Anyone would enjoy playing for them at 17.

ââ?¬Å?John has good players around him. Pedro Mendes is a great passer of the ball and Rangers have a number of players with skill, passion and good play.

ââ?¬Å?And it was also great experience for him to play against some of the best players we have got at Milan.

Advertisement

Click here

ââ?¬Å?The mental aspect is something people talk a lot about when a young player comes into a big team.

ââ?¬Å?But as long as you are at a club which looks after you and you have good people around you, then youââ?¬â?¢ll be OK. Rangers is one the biggest clubs around and they did so well getting to the UEFA Cup Final last season which isnââ?¬â?¢t easy to do.

ââ?¬Å?They have a lot of good players and I know this was a friendly, but they should be in the Champions League.

ââ?¬Å?Their fans will want them on that stage, as the AC Milan fans do with us, and they will be back in the Champions League soon.ââ?¬Â

Beckham is desperate to stay at Milan to keep his dream of playing at next year�s World Cup alive.

If Fabio Capello selects him for next week�s friendly in Spain, he�d equal Bobby Moore�s record of 108 caps.

Capello may not be able to call upon crocked Wayne Rooney for the trip to Seville.

But Beckham has noted the comparisons between Rooney and Fleck � and reckons it is the ultimate compliment for him.

He said: ââ?¬Å?People say there have been comparisons between John and Wayne. But there arenââ?¬â?¢t too many players like Wayne.

ââ?¬Å?He is a special player and anyone who is compared with a world-class talent like Wayne has a real chance.ââ?¬Â

Beckham also had a word for Gers midfielder Mo Edu � who�d beaten him twice in the MLS last season when Toronto did the double over LA Galaxy.

He added: ââ?¬Å?Maurice is a good player and I know him well from the MLS.

ââ?¬Å?He always performed well over there which is why Rangers picked him up.

ââ?¬Å?There were bigger clubs interested in him in Europe, but Rangers were lucky to get him.

ââ?¬Å?So I am surprised he hasnââ?¬â?¢t made a bigger impression here.

ââ?¬Å?He has the ability to make a name for himself if he is given the chance.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article2210004.ece