I'll sign Barry: Advocaat

I'll sign Barry: Advocaat insists he�d take Rangers skipper to Russia

Dick Advocaat is ready to offer Rangers and Scotland captain Barry Ferguson an escape route out of Ibrox and a final career pay day in Russia.

The Zenit St Petersburg boss, and former Rangers manager, has confirmed to Sportsmail he remains a huge admirer of the 31-year-old midfielder who will skipper George Burley�s side in the World Cup double-header against Holland and Iceland.

Advocaat, who gave Ferguson the Ibrox armband at the tender age of 22, is losing his star player, Ukrainian international Anatoliy Tymoschuk, to Bayern Munich on a free transfer in July, following Andrey Arshavin�s departure to Arsenal.

And the former Holland boss, who tried to sign Ferguson during the midfielder�s turbulent run-in with the then Rangers manager Paul le Guen in January 2007, could look to him again as a replacement.

With Ferguson facing a pay cut at the cash-strapped Ibrox club this summer, and already copping flak from disgruntled supporters, Advocaat�s words will not be easily

dismissed.

ââ?¬Ë?I am sure everyone in Scotland knows by now what I think of Barry Ferguson - heââ?¬â?¢s still a top player,ââ?¬â?¢ said Advocaat.

ââ?¬Ë?Maybe he needs a fresh challenge elsewhere to give him new motivation. If he has been getting criticism in Scotland, then maybe he he has been at Rangers too long.

ââ?¬Ë?If I think I have a place for him here at St Petersburg, then he is the first one I would try to sign.ââ?¬â?¢

Zenit St Petersburg coach Dick Advocaat remains an admirer of Barry Ferguson

Fergusonâ��s �£25,000-per-week contract will have only 12 months to run when the SPL title race is concluded. It is expected he will be offered a significant pay cut by the

club should he wish to sign an extension running into his mid-30s.

Zenit could easily match his current wages and a couple of years in Russia would bank Ferguson at least �£2million.

He has already left Rangers once, when he moved to Blackburn Rovers, and, although he likes family life in Scotland, his career is becoming increasingly marred by personal criticism as Walter Smith�s side remain in Celtic�s shadow.

Advocaat added: ââ?¬Ë?We are losing Tymoschuk in a couple of months, when he signs for Bayern Munich. Iââ?¬â?¢ve brought in Russian international Igor Semshov to try to plug the gap.

ââ?¬Ë?But if it does not work out well for him and for us, then Barry would be one I would think about, definitely.

'I have always believed he has the ability to play wherever he wants.�

Ferguson has left Rangers before, when he joined Blackburn

Zenit opened the new Russian League campaign with a draw, followed by a 2-1 victory over Saturn on Sunday.

Advocaat, who coached Holland to their 6-0 Amsterdam success over Scotland in November 2003 in the Euro 2004 play-off, will watch this weekend�s showdown between his two favourite countries on TV - with Ferguson under particular scrutiny.

Meanwhile, Rangers reserve Andrew Little has been called into the full Northern Ireland squad - before he has even kicked a ball for the Ibrox first team.

The highly-rated 19-year-old , who can play in defence or attack, has been called up by manager Nigel Worthington for Northern Ireland�s World Cup double-header against Poland and Slovenia.

Miller and Fergie in Russia! Get the berlin wall back up.:devil:

Loved Ferguson as a player during the Advocaat era, and occassionally he still shows glimpses of that player, those surging runs into the box and a willingness to get forward and support the striker(s). Unfortunately he doesn't do it enough these days, and with age and fitness against him I doubt we'll see it again. As it is I think he slows the game down to much for us now, takes the tempo out our play and would be happy to see him depart. However I don't think it will be to Zenit, especially if Blackburn made him homesick lol.

Loved Ferguson as a player during the Advocaat era, and occassionally he still shows glimpses of that player, those surging runs into the box and a willingness to get forward and support the striker(s). Unfortunately he doesn't do it enough these days, and with age and fitness against him I doubt we'll see it again. As it is I think he slows the game down to much for us now, takes the tempo out our play and would be happy to see him depart. However I don't think it will be to Zenit, especially if Blackburn made him homesick lol.

I am also a Barry Ferguson fan but the lure of working with Advocaat and a last chance payday at Zenit might force his hand if the oppurtunity arose i would be sad ro see him leave , but the club must move on and no player is bigger than the club.