JOHN FLECK has enjoyed a meteoric rise to stardom with Rangers this season but the talented youngster is more than happy to take his international career one step at a time.

After scoring his first top team goal from the penalty spot against Dundee United on January 31 there were suggestions that John, 17, could be included in George Burley's 'A' squad for the country's forthcoming European Championship qualifiers against Holland and Iceland.

John FleckAlthough he would have been as proud as punch to be selected for fixtures of this importance the talented teen always knew his chances would be slim despite many people tipping him to blast on to the international stage like a Wayne Rooney or Michael Owen.

This, of course, is a rarity and last week Fleck was over the moon to be picked by Billy Stark for the Scotland under-21 squad that will take on Albania home and away over the next seven days.

Having only made six starts at senior level in a Light Blue jersey John has no doubt that being part of this set-up will be hugely beneficial to his development and he couldn't wait to meet up with his new under-21 colleagues earlier this week.

He said: "It's great for me as a young boy to be picked at this level.

"We have two big games coming up against Albania and I have to thank Billy Stark for giving me this chance.

"There was a lot of talk about me possibly being selected for the top team but I think being with the 21s is the right step for me.

"People were saying I could play against Holland this weekend but to be honest I never listen to things like that.

"I am still only 17 and have just broken in to the first team at Rangers.

"Right now I am just very pleased to be picked the 21s for the first time and if I can make my debut even better."

Fleck is one of four Murray Park kids to travel to Albania this week for the first of two European Championship qualifiers and he was joined by goalkeeper Scott Gallacher midfielder Andrew Shinnie and striker Rory Loy.

The 2009 European Championship finals will be played this summer in Sweden but with Scotland failing to progress they will now get their qualifying campaign for 2011 underway on Saturday in Elbasani's Ruzhdi Bizhutu John FleckStadium with a return clash at the Falkirk Stadium being played on April 1.

John is confident his side can start their qualifying group, which also includes Austria, Belarus and Azerbaijan, off to a flyer by taking full points.

He said: "When you look at the squad we have there are a lot of lads playing first-team football every week so I won't be going there expecting to start or anything like that.

"When we meet up I will try to impress the coach like everybody else and if I play I will do my best to help the team.

"Over the years I have played for Scotland at different levels and when you pull on the jersey it makes you very proud.

"If I get that chance again in the next week or so it will be a big thing for me so I will give 100 per cent and hopefully we can get a couple of victories.

"I would be lying if I said that I knew anything about Albania but if we play well I am sure we can do well and get a couple of good results.

fleck old firm_160"At international level you can never underestimate any team, I am 17 and already I know that, but I always try to be confident going in to every game no matter who it is against."

John will use his time with Scotland to catch up with two of his Gers teammates Shinnie and Loy, both of whom are enjoying successful loan spells at Dundee and Dunfermline.

He said: "It's great that there are a few of us from Rangers in the squad.

"Scott is obviously a talented keeper while Andrew and Rory have been doing very well on loan and have been involved in big games.

"So being with the under-21s will be a great experience and we will all be desperate to make the most of it."

In what is a complex European Championship U21 qualifying system for 2011, ten group winners and the four best runners-up advance to a Final Tournament Play Off stage which will take place between the 9th and 13th of October 2010.

The final tournament will then be played between the 12th and 25th June 2011.