O'Neill eyes double swoop for Jenas and Hutton

Martin O'Neill and Jose Mourinho are battling it out for the �£10m signature of Jermaine Jenas, according to reports.

GettyImages

Jenas (L) has a tough choice, Inter or Villa?

Villa boss O'Neill is also keen to land Scotland international Alan Hutton as part of the deal, but will face competition for midfielder Jenas, who he sees as an ideal replacement for Gareth Barry.

Inter Milan coach Mourinho tried to lure Jenas to the San Siro in the January transfer window but Tottenham refused to let him leave.

Harry Redknapp needs to raise funds to buy players and the Spurs boss is considering cashing in on the England international.

Redknapp is still keen to take Portsmouth striker Peter Crouch to White Hart Lane and needs to boost his transfer kitty to do so.

O'Neill has already splashed out �£12m in the last week to land Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing. The 24-year-old said it took him no time to sign: "As soon as I spoke to Martin O'Neill I knew I wanted to play for him. The ambitions the manager has are even bigger than I realised.

"The first thing I asked the manager was 'Are these players staying? Because I'd like to play with them'.

"His response was that the likes of Ashley Young will not be leaving because he is trying to build a squad."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=662034&cc=5739