The club and the team are going backwards..... would any new manager turn that around in the face of more cuts and no investment possibilities? It would surely be a big gamble at this stage. Not being able to buy a player for 18 months is taking its toll, inevitibly.

That's my take on matters as well.

I'm foaming at the performances we've seen lately but I fail to see how a change of manager would provide immediate improvement from players who seem unable to motivation themselves consistently enough.

We're also still top of the league (with an away win at Tannadice) so there's no way the club Board would sack Smith.

The club and the team are going backwards..... would any new manager turn that around in the face of more cuts and no investment possibilities? It would surely be a big gamble at this stage. Not being able to buy a player for 18 months is taking its toll, inevitibly.

FWIW I think that Smith is probably holding the CLUB together to a large extent just now, even if the team is faltering at the same time.

With the level of teams we play in the SPL it really wouldn't take a genius to get us beating these teams comfortably. Teams like St Johnston are assembled with players barely fit for professional level. Most of this league is barely better than much of League 2/Conference. Kevin Kyle for example was a mediocre player in the lower divisions in England, now he's one of the best players in the SPL.

Edited by Totti

With the level of teams we play in the SPL it really wouldn't take a genius to get us beating these teams comfortably. Teams like St Johnston are assembled with players barely fit for professional level. Most of this league is barely better than much of League 2/Conference. Kevin Kyle for example was a mediocre player in the lower divisions in England, now he's one of the best players in the SPL.

I apprecaite that.

I just think that WS is doing a lot more than football at the present moment in time (see what I did there :)).

Only realistic solution I can think of is that he takes a back seat and allows McCoist to run the show until the end of the season while he oversees things. That may also be a good tansition plan in a lot of peoples' minds.

But Smith himself would need to see that he's associated with the problems on the field at the moment for that to happen and I'm not entirely sure he does.

So I don't expect anything to change.

I don't really want Smith or McCoist to have anything more to do with managing the club. We put far too much stock in keeping managers. It's not working so change it. There's clubs all over the world in a bad state financially. We need to adapt as a football club and become progressive. Change is good.

I'd certainly say we need new coaches...

What has been clear since Walter returned is that we lack too many virtues of the game to provide consistent quality. Our set-pieces are poor, our passing below average, our shooting dreadful and our tactics inflexible.

From that perspective, while the manager is also to blame, if we can't remove him easily enough then replacing his assistants is perhaps more readily achievable in the short-term.

I'd certainly say we need new coaches...

What has been clear since Walter returned is that we lack too many virtues of the game to provide consistent quality. Our set-pieces are poor, our passing below average, our shooting dreadful and our tactics inflexible.

From that perspective, while the manager is also to blame, if we can't remove him easily enough then replacing his assistants is perhaps more readily achievable in the short-term.

But the manager would do that - who else would? Martin Bain's certainly not going to suggest or insist on it.

Nothing will change until everything changes I'm afraid :(

But the manager would do that - who else would? Martin Bain's certainly not going to suggest or insist on it.

Nothing will change until everything changes I'm afraid :(

Of course which is why I said the infrastructure needs to be better and stronger when necessary.

If the team are not performing then the manager is ultimately responsible. As such, pressure should be brought to bear by the Board when this happens. If that means pressurising Smith to change his staff then so be it.

Why should they stand back and watch the team get worse? Much better to be proactive and, if the manager can't accept such criticism, then that would also tell us a lot.

Like you say, none of this will happen, but it is way beyond time people need to become answerable at our club for poor performance. For too long we limp along doing the bare minimum because staff aren't challenged to do better.

Like you say, none of this will happen, but it is way beyond time people need to become answerable at our club for poor performance. For too long we limp along doing the bare minimum because staff aren't challenged to do better.

Agree with that. It's another symptom of the huge hole the club has gotten itself into.