BBC in 'astonishingly positive spin' shocker

Their headline:

Bougherra hints at new Gers deal

Then:

Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra hints at new contract

Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra has revealed he would be happy to extend his contract but will wait until after the World Cup before making a decision.

The Algeria defender, whose current deal runs until 2012, has been a consistent performer for the club.

"I'm concentrating on my football and we'll see after the World Cup what happens," Bougherra said.

"I will concentrate on the league. If I win the title then I know that would be a good thing for me."

Recent newspaper stories linking Barcelona with interest in the 27-year-old have been played down by sources in Spain.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Give your reaction to Bougherra's future

Rangers manager Walter Smith shrugged off the resulting speculation that followed the central defender's role in Algeria's progress to the semi-finals of last month's Africa Cup of Nations.

Bougherra, who can also operate in midfield and has played right-back for his country, joined Rangers from Charlton Athletic for �£2.5m in July 2008.

He began his career with Gueugnon and moved to English football when he signed for Crewe Alexandra in January 2006.

The defender then joined Charlton from Sheffield Wednesday before moving to Ibrox and has performed well alongside veteran David Weir.

Rangers have significant financial problems and manager Walter Smith has hinted at a major upheaval at Ibrox in the summer.

The club are still seeking a new buyer and their current debt stands at more than �£30m.

Despite the quotes in the story being completely neutral and him just saying 'I don't know, we'll see' the BBC have managed to put on a surprisingly pro-Rangers spin to the story by implying it means he's staying.

I'd have bet my bawsack that their headline to that story would have been 'Bougherra considering his options' at best or 'Bougherra may leave'.

Sometimes even the BBC can surprise you.