CHAIRMAN pays tribute to Smith and Bain

by Lindsay Herron

ALASTAIR JOHNSTON has paid tribute to the efforts of Walter Smith and Martin Bain to ensure that Rangers have a fighting chance of retaining the Championship and vital Champions League money.

The Chairman says both the manager and Chief Executive deserve great credit for keeping the key players as Rangers seek to retain the crown.

The reward will be direct entry to the Champions League and the money that goes with it - as long as the winners of this year's competition directly qualifies through their league position and that is liable to be the case.

Speaking exclusively to rangers.co.uk, he said: "I think Walter and Martin did a tremendous job in the January window in finessing our ability to continue with our current squad without any wounds, if you will.

"We lost Mendes, but that was strategic, and I don't think anyone shed any tears over the departure of Rothen.

"So they did a terrific job. I was involved with them on a day to day basis and there was a lot of pressure or temptation and there was a lot mischief-making that goes on in transfer windows but they managed to hold firm.

"You have to give tremendous credit to Walter, Ally and Kenny and the players for the way the results they have achieved so far and I am conscious that we have not won anything yet.

"Despite a small squad and other problems they have done a terrific job.

"If we directly qualify for the Champions League next season it will be a big factor in terms of what we can do.

"There are imponderables in the sense that the Scottish champions will only automatically qualify if this season's Champions League winners are also directly qualified.

"However, winning the league would undoubtedly enhance our chances to get into the group stage and if we did that it would undoubtedly continue our recovery."

More...

Edited by Super_Ally