McGregor set to replace Gordon in Scotland squad

Levein saddened by Gordon injury

Scotland manager Craig Levein is "disappointed" at losing goalkeeper Craig Gordon due to a broken arm.

The Sunderland man fractured a bone in training and will miss the start of the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.

The 27-year-old underwent surgery on his arm on Thursday but could be out for the first four qualifying matches.

"It is obviously very disappointing to lose a goalkeeper of Craig's calibre for such a significant part of the campaign," said Levein.

"I am as disappointed for the player himself as I am for the country because I know how hard he has worked to overcome a series of injuries.

"Craig has been an exceptional goalkeeper for Scotland - a talisman in fact - and I think after getting a metal plate inserted in his arm last season, he was getting back to his best form for Sunderland. He also made some outstanding saves in my first match against the Czech Republic," Levein told the SFA's website.

However, the Scotland boss indicated that he had no fears about replacing Gordon with Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor.

"I know the circumstances are not ideal but often that is how an opportunity arises for another goalkeeper. I have no qualms about bringing Allan back in," he said.

"He is a quality goalkeeper with great experience in Europe with Rangers and we are just fortunate that we are able to call on other top-quality goalkeepers."

Fellow Ibrox man Neil Alexander and Cardiff City goalkeeper David Marshall are also options for Levein.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8828618.stm

Not sure that this is particularly good news for us. I'd rather we didn't have too many players risking injury for Scotland given the limited size of our squad...

Im all for the best players playing for Scotland regardless which club they come from and McGregor is one of the best available. There isnt much between Gordon and McGregor, they are slightly different in styles where McGregor seems to have more of a pressence but Gordon is better at handling but they are both great shot stoppers.

He is likely to get booed buy the ignorant groups of so called fans but he can blank them out and concentrate on doing well for his country.

Gordon seems to be permanetly injured in the last few years though, shame as he hasnt shown Sunderland his best yet.