Craig Bellamy talks of quitting football

Craig Bellamy says he could quit football if he fails to make Manchester City's 25-man squad for this season.

New rules mean each Premier League squad must now be capped, and the Wales captain feels he is not certain to be registered by manager Roberto Mancini.

"If I don't get in the squad I don't know what I will do," said 31-year-old Bellamy, who revealed he has rejected an offer to join German club Wolfsburg.

"I might finish, full stop. Or look at every option. This game is ruthless."

Striker Bellamy - who is set to win his 59th international cap on Wednesday when Wales take on Luxembourg in a friendly in Llanelli - has rich competition in the forward department at Eastlands.

Bellamy fears for Man City future

Emmanuel Adebayor and Carlos Tevez are considered lead centre forwards while City boss Mancini has Paraguay star Roque Santa Cruz and Brazilian international Jo at his disposal, and is also looking to add exciting young Italian forward Mario Balotelli to the mix.

Allied to that, Bellamy and Mancini both had to deny falling out with each other last season as the club narrowly failed to land a place in the European Champions League.

"I feel strongly that I can offer something at the club," Bellamy added.

I really enjoy playing for Manchester City. I think I have shown that with my commitment

Craig Bellamy

"[but] I sort of feel I am not going to be part of it. I can see it from a distance. I find that very difficult to take because I really enjoy playing for Manchester City. I think I have shown that with my commitment this year."

Bellamy was bought by former City boss Mark Hughes for �£14m in January 2009 and went on to enjoy arguably his finest season.

But amid apparent unrest, Tottenham and a host of other clubs were reported to be interested in Bellamy.

"I've had a few options. I've turned down Wolfsburg. I don't fancy Germany, it's not somewhere I see myself playing football," the striker continued.

606: DEBATE

Will Bellamy made the cut? If not, is he really serious about retirement?

"With this 25-man ruling, it doesn't matter how well I train or how good my attitude is, I might not be registered to play.

"So do I go without playing football until January, or do I find myself a club where I can play football? I am committed to stay where I am.

"I feel I deserve to be part of it, but I don't pick the 25 or the team. I have to wait on their decision."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8902161.stm

Guest Flying Hippo

Bellamy is such a pseudo-intellectual little prick. Spouting nonsense about retiring from the game for shock value. Man City are hardly going to keep players on 100k a week wages and not register them in their squad. He'll either be in the squad or he'll be sold beforehand. Simples