Rangers v Valencia: Spanish praise

VALENCIA midfielder Manuel Fernandes last night insisted that they must beat Rangers at the Estadio Mestalla on 2 November if they are to overtake the SPL leaders and claim a place in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

The former Benfica, Portsmouth and Everton player believes that it's a two-horse race for second place - and reckons it could go either way.

Fernandes also claimed that he hadn't been taken aback by the quality of Rangers' display at Ibrox.

We expected Rangers to try to hit us on the counter-attack so we were not surprised," he said. "I hope we can do better at home because I think we will need the three points if we are to go through.

"At home I am sure you will see a better Valencia because taking three points is now crucial to us. It's between us and Rangers for second place now and a position in the last 16 of the tournament.

"Manchester United are already ahead and they now have another game against Bursaspor. We have four points, Rangers have five and I think only one of us will qualify now.

"We were favourites to qualify at the start and I hope we can live up to that billing in the Mestalla. But Rangers are making it hard for us and they have shown they are able to compete with us.

"Maybe it will go down to the last game when they are at Bursaspor and we are in Manchester."

The 24-year-old, a second-half substitute for Tino Costa, missed his side's equaliser on Wednesday night. "I missed Maurice Edu's own goal because I was still in the dressing room," he grinned. ''But I was happy when I came out and one of the other subs told me that it was 1-1. We created more chances but so did Rangers and the game was always in the balance.

"It was no less than we expected from them as we knew they were a good side who would be backed by a big crowd.

"The game wasn't a draw because we played poorly - it was a draw because Rangers played well.

"We have great respect for Rangers and for Scottish football in general. It's not as bad as some people say.''

http://sport.scotsman.com/rangersfc/Rangers-v-Valencia-Spanish-praise.6593751.jp