Fans overwhelmingly favour bigger spl

Another thing - in a way parents caring too much (over protective) gets in the way of kids playing football. Kids in Argentina, Brazil and to a lesser extend the rest of the European countries are more likely to be out kicking a ball about. Now parents are too scared to let their kids out.

The fact is that it's pathetic that a country which takes football so seriously struggles to produce any good players at all. Even tiny countries way down in the rankings seem to get the odd world class player by chance. We haven't had a world class player since........????????

Uruguay is much smaller than Scotland and not a single Scottish player would get in their squad

There is a bit of a difference between playing your football on Copacabana Beach or Saltcoats but overprotection is a fair point nonetheless.

However, whilst Uruguay do disproportionally well in the World Cup, given their small population, they have failed to qualify for 3 of the last 5 and there some aspects of their foootball that I would not want to see us copying!

Interesting to see where this thread has gone!

If you could ally this Dutch pyramid model, with coaching in the schools, to the German model of fan involvement at all levels in the clubs, then that might some kind of footballing utopia. Now why didn't McLeish think of that?

Strange when you think of that, as he obviously looked at those, and other models that actually work.

Could be he was working to a certain agenda set by his employers.

If you could ally this Dutch pyramid model, with coaching in the schools, to the German model of fan involvement at all levels in the clubs, then that might some kind of footballing utopia. Now why didn't McLeish think of that?

I sent an e-mail to McLeish at least the address given to contact him explaining the Dutch system, but I never heard anything in reply. Not even a standard automatic reply.:frown:

The Johan Cruijff Foundation have been building safe street playing areas to try and bring back street football to the kids. A fence concrete and two goals is all that is needed. I remember we used to have a playing street when I was young. We used jackets for goals which meant i was always losing jackets.:)

Strange when you think of that, as he obviously looked at those, and other models that actually work.

Could be he was working to a certain agenda set by his employers.

Absolutely no doubt that the SPL wrote the 10/10 part of his report; no way did they independently come up with exactly the same plan.

He spoke to who he wanted to speak to and essentially took SD as representing the fan's view (sorry rbr).

Brilliant , move to 16 teams and before you know it Raith Rovers will be playing like Benfica , or Anderlecht , right on brother pass the spliff

What's the difference between Raith and most of the other shite in our league? And teams in the SFL that get promoted to the SPL would get more money and likely improve.

The way I look at it is like most of the other 16 team leagues in Europe there's a couple of decent teams then largely a fairly poor standard. We may as well have a respectable amount of teams in our league if nothing else. I honestly doubt there's much between the top half of the first division and the bottom half of the spl

There is a bit of a difference between playing your football on Copacabana Beach or Saltcoats but overprotection is a fair point nonetheless.

However, whilst Uruguay do disproportionally well in the World Cup, given their small population, they have failed to qualify for 3 of the last 5 and there some aspects of their foootball that I would not want to see us copying!

There's also a difference between growing up in abject povery in south american and growing up with every opportunity in the world here.

How do you make that out , everytime we sign a player from abroad they always increase their wages , even coming from France , we pay way over the odds for players , also our wage bill will be small due to our squad size .

Also do you think Copenhagen or Panathanikos or Hapoel Tel-aviv or FC Cluj pay more than us , no chance

And how many times recently have we bought players from abroad. And when we do sign they're hardly hardly world beaters shining in their leagues. How many do we actually have on high wages? Hurr durrrr. Of course they're going to increase their wages, no foreign player comes to the SPL for the array of technique on display

And you think there's no chance Panathinaikos have a higher wage bill than us? Get your facts straight - Boumsong, Govou, Gilberto Silva and Cisse will all earn much more than anyone at Ibrox. Christ, I bet their squads wages is double ours.

Edited by Totti

The fact that you create football clubs takes the need away for coaches in schools. Football clubs here are mostly self sufficient with the money covered by membership, profits from the canteen, sponsors and lottery money. The pitches and up-keep are normally provided by the local council and volunteers from the club. The top senior and youth teams mostly have paid coaches with the club also using members of the top senior teams to coach at youth level. From u13 upwards all coaches of the first team at that age group(A1,B1,C1,D1) all have KNVB Youth coaching certificates. Even the coaching level is a part of the pyramid.

The fact that you create football clubs takes the need away for coaches in schools. Football clubs here are mostly self sufficient with the money covered by membership, profits from the canteen, sponsors and lottery money. The pitches and up-keep are normally provided by the local council and volunteers from the club. The top senior and youth teams mostly have paid coaches with the club also using members of the top senior teams to coach at youth level. From u13 upwards all coaches of the first team at that age group(A1,B1,C1,D1) all have KNVB Youth coaching certificates. Even the coaching level is a part of the pyramid.

It's all wasted words though as we all know countries like Holland are progressive with Scotland and Britain equally unprogressive. IF there's a wrong way to do something you can be sure good old Scotland will do it that way