Transfer window is open for a while yet. If the right players arent available as of yet then I dont think we should be signing stop-gap or 3rd choice options. Only when we know we cant get the RIGHT personnel should we resort to the lower end of the target list.

The transfer window is very screwed up as different leagues start at different times.

I would hate to see us blow our load just so we have numbers before the season starts, only to find we would have had better options closer to the window closing.

Very fine line between success and failure in the transfer window these days !

The biggest worry for me is not the 23rd when the SPL kicks off, it's the CL qualifiers because we seriously need that CL group stage goldmine so that our spending budget can be increased for the last week of the transfer window in August.

Our first two legs are last week of this month and first week of August. If we progress to the play-off round our two legs will be in the 3rd week of August (16/17) and 4th week of August (23/24).

If we were to get through the play-off round and secure a group stage place Craig Whyte might be able to allow Ally to spend significantly more cash in that last week of the transfer window and that could potentially increase our chances of winning the league again by a fair amount depending on the quality of signings.

The dilema for the manager is what positions need strengthened ASAP to try and help us get through these qualifiers.

We shouldnt need that money.

Whyte said 5 mill would be available to spend and that wasnt based on CL qualification. Regardless, there is absolutely no guarantee that Whyte would make those funds available even if we did qualify.

CL qualification, whilst not beyond us, is going to be a struggle even if we did have funds to spend. 5 mill should be sufficient for our SPL needs.

I am not nearly as convinced as you are that Whyte will make significant funds available should we qualify for the CL. I also dont think that we "need" that money to compete in the SPL, which is where our bread and butter is.

Even with the squad we have we should be able to navigate the play off round which then gives us the Europa as a parachute and that brings a couple of mill too.

It should be seen as being a longer-term project anyway given the state our squad is in, in terms of numbers.

I am sure that McCoist is looking to not just the SPL but also Europe and I am sure he wants his targets in ahead of the season start too. But getting bodies in just to beef up numbers can actually be more costly than waiting and suffering non-qualification of the CL. Lest we forget some of our not-so-distant transfer sagas ala Mladenovic, where it cost us 7 figures IIRC just to wave him goodbye.

I know that AM said we need quantity, but not at the total ignorance of quality.

We shouldn't need that money Craig, but do we? Is the 41 year old Davie Weir going to play in practically every game for us again this season?

Whyte said there was the possibility of front-loading the transfer budget and I'd presume that he'll only be able to do that to any great degree if we qualify for the CL group stages.

I agree that it should be seen as being a longer-term project and that's the real reason I think we DO need that CL group stage money. In the long run we need to be able to replace our older key players like Weir, McCulloch and Papac and we need to replace them with quality. If we had the money I'd replace them now and have the older guys as squad players/back up, but we don't have the money and that's why we NEED that CL group stage money. It's a LOT of money!

Edited by Zappa
typo

It's 'great' that everyone at the club thinks we need to strengthen. How reassuring to know that if we fail to bring in anyone else, our manager and goalkeeper don't think we're good enough.

Admittedly we're not, but to hear these desperate words time and time again is starting to grate.

Guest Dutchy
The fans want to see the new faces, not to keep being told that we need them.

It is getting to be a bit of a pain being told what we all already know. It's time for some action.

I've just read on another thread that Rodregiz(!) has turned us down, so get on with all the other targets then.

BTW, has the player refused us, or the club???

It is getting to be a bit of a pain being told what we all already know. It's time for some action.

I've just read on another thread that Rodregiz(!) has turned us down, so get on with all the other targets then.

BTW, has the player refused us, or the club???

Apparently the club? The offer we put in wasnt enough.