Coisty: We can�t risk Kaunas two

TITLE winners but drained by the effort needed to become champs.

Ally McCoist looked at battle-weary Rangers and feared the worst - then came Kaunas.

The Ibrox men stumbled into their Champions League qualifier in Lithuania and then crashed OUT, not enough fresh faces signed to help a squad which could give no more.

Three years on from that bitter 2008 experience McCoist fears history could repeat itself. It's the draw for Europe's elite competition today with Rangers set to find out where they'll go for their massive knock-out tie.

If they're lucky it's part-timers in Ireland. If they're not so lucky it's a Euro outpost like Moldova, Slovenia or Georgia.

McCoist is working around the clock to sign new stars in time for the double header knowing all too well the risk he runs if he fails to deliver.

He said: "Because of when it is in the season, the Champions League qualifier will be tricky especially if we have to go to Eastern Europe, to Georgia or a place like that.

"We've done it before in Kaunas a few years ago. We were burnt in Kaunas and that was horrendous as we were coming off a great season. We looked jaded and tired. To say that right at the start of the season was strange but that was how we looked.

"That's why this time, we need players in to help the ones already here and to freshen the place up a bit.

"It has an affect on the players already here. After Kaunas we signed the likes of Pedro Mendes and a few others. But by then it was too late.

"That's how we know what's required this year. The new players will be in, we will be ready."

McCoist prays for luck of the draw.

Partisan Belgrade are amongst the worst possible opponents but McCoist has his fingers crossed Rangers don't get a hellish first game.

He added: "It would be ideal to get someone close to home like Shamrock Rovers from Ireland or one of the Scandinavians like Malmo or Helsinki.

"If I had a choice, it would be one of those teams because of the travelling involved.

"We know there are teams from Georgia, Moldova and Slovenia as well. It wouldn't be a total disaster but avoiding them would suit us.

"We want to do as well as we can in Europe - the priority has to be to retain the championship and qualify for the Champions League. That's what we want to do, they are the two targets at the start of the season."

Rangers star Kyle Hutton can't wait to see who Rangers get.

The Champions League has special memories for the youngster.

He made his first start for the club against Manchester United in the company of greatness.

Hutton said: "Like the rest of the boys, I'm buzzing to see who we get.

"Obviously, making my debut last season against United is something that will stay with me forever.

"To line up against the likes of Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney and Ryan Giggs was like a dream come true. Hopefully we can get another good draw and I can get another chance.

"That experience definitely makes me more determined to try and get back there.

"I have had a taste of it and I want more.

"Playing in that United game was a massive help to my confidence.

"It helped for the rest of the season in terms of dealing with any nerves when it comes to playing in front of thousands of fans. It was a boost.

"The whole atmosphere, the whole Champions League experience, is massive and coming through it was definitely of benefit to me."

Hutton is desperate to get going again in the new season.

He was in and out of the side last season after breaking through and is desperate to become a regular.

He added: "I think this is a big season for me. Last year was about trying to break into the team and I played a few games.

"This year is about taking my chance and showing what I can do in the SPL.

"Obviously, we have big Lee McCulloch there and he has been playing well. I just need to keep myself ready and show what I can do if I get on in games.

"Could I be the long-term replacement for Jig? I don't know. I hope so.

"He has a few years left on his contract and I'm looking to learn from him. Hopefully, I can take over in the years to come."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3696038/Coisty-We-cant-risk-Kaunas-two.html#ixzz1S7k2z2bP